In Tuscany, between Gaiole and Radda in Chianti, in the prestigious area of the Chianti Classico, stunning estate with 101.6 ha of land, 4,135 sqm of buildings, luxury villa, farmhouse with holiday apartments, pool, tennis court, monumental cellar and olive grove.
The property, located between Siena and Florence, is within easy reach of the airports in Florence (61km), Pisa (125km), Perugia (142km) and the main cities of art in Tuscany.
It is also possible to further expand the estate (up to 120.0 ha) by buying more land, including 3.6 ha of Chianti Classico vineyards.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The villa (2,045 sqm) is laid out on three levels plus some rooms on the lower ground floor. It has four entries on the ground floor; from the main entrance you can enter directly a large room, which is connected both on the right and on the left with two corridors leading to various rooms and with the stairwell, reachable also from the door on the left side of the building. The corridor on the right leads to a bedroom and a modern kitchen. The corridor on the left leads into a large storage room and to the entrance hall of the rear façade.
Among the various rooms on the ground floor, there is one with rich flower decorations. On the first floor, like on the lower floor, there is a central area with a large room, which is directly connected to the external staircase and the garden in front of it. Still on this level there is an archive protected by the Soprintendenza Archivistica.
The chapel (55 sqm) is within easy reach of the villa and it was restored in 2000. The flooring is in original terracotta and on the main façade there is a small porch covered with three crossed vaults. The chapel, which was restored in Neo-Renaissance style at the beginning of the 20th century, has a rectangular layout with an only nave and a barrel vault and a bell roof.
The wine cellars are excavated into the rock, covered with cross vaults and occupied with barrels of various size.
The stone cottage is composed of holiday apartments and has ten beds.
HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY, STATE AND FINISHES
In this wine estate there was a Roman-Etruscan settlement. The estate is first mentioned as a castle (or, more probably, a fortified villa) in a document dated 1033 AD. In the 15th century the villa belonged to the noble Cecchini family from Panzano and in their hands it remained until 1621 when it was bought by one Giannozzo Cepparello. In the following two centuries, the property went first to the Pianigiani family, then Strozzi. In 1895, the estate is registered among the possessions of Baron Giorgio Sonnino, brother of the most famous Italian minister Sydney Sonnino.
The villa in its current shape and look dates back to the early 18th century. In the 19th century the villa was purchased by the Strozzi family, historic enemy of the Medici family. In that period, the estate was composed of various farmhouses and it was already famous for the quality of its wines.
The magnificent façade was rebuilt between 1914 and 1919 by a Florentine architect, who, in addition to new and rich decorations, built a double staircase. The façade is composed of a main upper level and two side levels, and it features a wide gable-end with a large frame and clock. Internally, there is the original terracotta floor and in a lot of rooms you can still see the ancient ceilings with wooden beams.
Both the villa and the chapel are protected by the Regional Board of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage.
The wine estate includes 101.0 hectares, made up of olive grove (8.5 ha), mixed woodland (87.3 ha) and grazing/arable land (5.8 ha).
The stunning pool is surrounded by a sunbathing area and is located in a very panoramic position. The property includes a tennis court.
USE AND POTENTIAL USES
Given its size, position and high historic value, the villa can be used as prestigious private home with tourist accommodation. In the property, moreover, there is the possibility of arranging events of various kinds such as weddings, concerts, conferences, art exhibitions and fashion parades.
It is also possible to buy up to 53.4 hectares of land (for a total surface of 120.0 ha). Here there are 3.6 hectares of Chianti Classico vineyards. Speaking of which, the Regione Toscana can allow up to 1.5 ha of planting rights for free every year and the cost to plant these vines is approximately € 35,000 / ha. Here below you can find a quick summary:
Additional land – 18.4 hectares (3.6 ha vineyards + 4.3 ha olive grove + 2.1 ha woodland + 8.4 ha arable land) – Price: 1.150.000 Euro