In a hilly position, in the Tuscan countryside near Pisa, estate with castle, 110 hectares of land, hamlet and farmhouses to be restored.
Accessible from the municipal road network via an unpaved road (conditions of it varying) this property is an authentic piece of history, whose value is enriched by the panoramic position and the possibility to reach all the cities of Tuscany in reasonable time: the beautifully fortified Lucca (46km; 55’), Pisa with its Tower (47km; 50’), the Etruscan Volterra (49km; 1h 10’), the Medicean Florence (52km; 1h 5’), the beautiful sea of Viareggio (75km; 1h 10’) and the medieval Siena (81km; 1h 30’).
Useful airports to reach the property are Pisa Galilei (44km; 40’), Firenze Peretola (50km; 45’), Bologna Marconi (137km; 1h 40’), Roma Ciampino (336km; 3h 25’) and Roma Fiumicino (351km; 3h 30’).
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The main complex (circa 5,000 sqm – 53,800 sqft) is made up of a castle and a small hamlet protected by walls. The church and the rectory are not included in the sale.
A short distance away from the main hamlet there are several agricultural buildings, as of now ruined and not always easily reachable.
- Farm A (650 sqm – 6,994 sqft) and farmhouse N°1 (335 sqm – 3,605): reached via an unpaved road, the first complex is basically unreachable in case of heavy rain. The buildings (3 in total) are in bad conditions, totally unusable, without fixtures of any kind and missing slabs (totally) and roofs (partially). Supporting walls are cracked and heavily damaged in several points.
- Farmhouse N°2 (340 sqm – 3,658 sqft): located on a flat terrain, the building is no more than a derelict structure.
- Farmhouse N°3 (275 sqm – 2,959 sqft): located on a (mostly) flat terrain, on a slightly steep section of the hill, this building is abandoned and no more than a ruin.
- Farmhouse N°4 (490 sqm – 5,272 sqft): located on a flat terrain, with the back leaned over a scarp, the building is in poor state, totally unusable, without fixtures and missing slabs and roofs. Supporting walls are severely damaged in multiple sections.
- Farmhouse N°5 (430 sqm – 4,627 sqft): with no access routes, the building is highly unstable, missing both systems and fixtures, with slabs partially missing and supporting walls severely damaged.
STATE AND FINISHES
The main hamlet, made up the castle and several other buildings, is in good conditions with external stone walls well maintained and mostly restored interiors. The complex dates back to the late Middle Age, with the exception of the church’s façade which is probably from the 17th century.
The interiors of the castle are well preserved, with wonderful ancient terracotta floors, frescos, wooden beams sustaining the roofs, caisson ceilings, stone fireplaces and impressive wooden doors. Stone statues are also present, scattered through the property.
The rest of the property, made up of buildings dating back to the 19th and 20th century, is in a derelict state and requires many restorations to be brought back to habitable conditions.
The property includes 110 hectares of land, covered for the most part in woodland, arable land and olive groves.
Woodland covers almost half of the total land (50 ha).
Olive groves (for a total of 1,900 trees) are distributed on a total area of 12 hectares, but not all of them are productive: only half of the trees is currently cared of, the other half might need some maintenance.
Arable land covers 12 ha of land and is cultivated in wheat and barley. The last 50 hectares are currently unused. 3 hectares are immediately cultivable, while the remaining 47 ha are located on a very steep surface and terraces are necessary to use them (some terraces are present, but many more are needed).
Lastly, we find a small vineyard in the property (135 sqm).
USE AND POTENTIAL USES
The property, thanks to its ample size, allows starting a hosting activity as it is, while the restoration of ruined buildings would increase the number of potential guests the property can host.
The presence of 1,900 olive trees is a nice bonus, allowing the production of nice Tuscan extra-virgin oil, potentially sold to cover for maintenance costs of the property.
Swimming pools can be realized to increase the appeal of the property and the eventual business.