Wilford House is a beautifully imposing Georgian residence built c. 1790. The main house sits within 7 acres of landscaped gardens which have been planned and maintained with great precision.
The house is approached via a long tree lined gravel driveway which leads to an open forecourt at the front of the house. As soon as one reaches the forecourt, the front facade of Wilford House is revealed and acts as a wonderful example of Georgian symmetrical architecture, consisting of 3 bays with a protruding entrance porch centred around the front door.
The entrance, leads through the front porch to a fine reception hall, where the feature staircase winds up and down through the centre of the house and elegantly curves along the walls of the oval stairwell. To either side of the reception hall doors lead into the bright and well proportioned drawing room and dining room.
This level is completed with a bedroom, nursery and guest bathroom on a mezzanine level to the rear. The first floor holds four bedrooms, two of which are suites with dressing rooms and en suite bathrooms and there are two further bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor.
The lower ground level comprises a cinema room, gym, and large kitchen. Within recent years Wilford House has been renovated to a superbly high standard resulting in a classically luxurious home with all modern conveniences which could be offered. The tasteful renovation has retained the stunning original features of this house, such as the ornate ceiling coving, ceiling roses and window shutters.
Wilford House, previously known as Wilfort House, is a late-Georgian house that was remodelled in the mid-1870s to present the character present today. The earliest person associated with Wilford House is a Harley Hodson, whose ancestor is said to be Dr. John Hodson, who assisted Charles I in his escape from Oxford in 1641. In 1812 he sold Wilford House to Charles Toole and Luke Toole, the house staying in the Toole family until the 1870s. Thereafter a Major John Harvey began a succession of army men occupying Wilford House, with, in sequence, William Henry, Captain Arthur Hill, Colonel Rowan-Hamilton up until more recent times when it has been occupied as a well-positioned family home.
The Coach House located to the rear of the main house has been converted into a large garage, study and meeting room on the ground floorwith a 3 bedroom guest apartment on the first floor. This conversion, while adding some useful additional accommodation, did not in any way alter the exterior facade of the original coach house, allowing the courtyard retain its quaint charm.The seven acres of pleasure grounds which surround Wilford House are simply splendid and are quite possibly some of the finest private gardens in county Dublin. They comprise manicured lawns, a sunken garden, a walled orchard, hazel grove, herb and vegetable garden, a barbeque garden, four separate patio areas and a large pond. The grounds are beautifully punctuated with a broad selection of mature specimen trees.Wilford House is excellently located almost equidistant between Shankill and Bray just minutes drive from Dublin city centre. The M50 Motorway, which links the majority of Ireland's motorway network is accessible within a two minute drive making every city in Ireland easily accessible within, at most, two and a half hours drive and Dublin airport within twenty five minutes. There is a selection of prestigious schools located within close proximity of Wilford House, including Enniskerry and Rathmichael National and St. Gerard's Primary and Secondary with many more options being available within Dublin city. Woodbrook College is also very close to Wilford House. Wilford House caters wonderfully for the sporting enthusiast. Within the pleasure grounds there is a selection of charming walks leading through the formal gardens and across the lawns. There are a myriad of options for water sports such as sailing, surfing and water-skiing, among many others, in the nearby coastal towns and villages, for instance Dún Laoghaire or Dalkey. There is a wide selection of superb golf courses nearby including Woodbrook, Powerscourt and Dún Laoghaire.