Mercy Convent is located in Ardee, a busy market town in the heart of Co Louth, on the banks of the River Dee. Ardee originates from the Irish name 'Árd Fhada'meaning Ford of Ferdia, the name becoming shorter over time. Ardee grew at a ford and historically was an important crossing on the River Dee. This area is known for its situation amidst rich and rolling agricultural landscape.
A prominent building in itself, the Mercy Convent is conveniently placed within walking distance to the main street of Ardee and provides everyday amenities. There is nearby shops, pubs, cafés, restaurants, both primary and secondary schools and also Ardee Castle, allegedly the largest surviving fortified medieval tower house in Ireland. The Ardee Baroque Festival is held every year, with concerts celebrating music from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Ardee is equidistant from the larger towns of Dundalk to the north east (24 km) and Drogheda to the south east (24 km), one of Ireland's oldest medieval towns. Drogheda has several quality hotels, restaurants, boutique shops and two shopping centres. It is one of the country's largest towns and has seen significant growth in recent times due to its proximity to Dublin City.
The M1 motorway is 7 km distant which connects Dublin to Belfast. Dublin Airport (64 km) to the south is easily accessible via the M1. There is an excellent Dublin to Belfast train service with stations in both Drogheda and Dundalk.
Mercy Convent occupies an easterly-facing situation, in a prime central location within the town of Ardee. The convent is a five-bay two-storey house constructed in c.1855. A stone church/chapel was added in c.1870. The entrance to Mercy Convent is approached via a private driveway and flanked by wrought-iron field railings, which terminates to the front of the convent. The accommodation of the convent is extensive and would suit a wide range of uses. The property comes to the market in good condition with parts of the building requiring updating. A lift was installed in recent years which offers accessibility to all floors in the main building.
Many of the period features remain intact. Notable internal features include cornicing, marble fireplaces and sash windows. Notable external features include the pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles and pointed arch belfry's.
Please refer to the floorplans for a full list of the accommodation.
The gate lodge accommodation comprises 2 bedrooms, living space and kitchen. There is private parking to the rear and side of this building.
Outside of the main footprint of the building there are a number of single storey outbuildings which are used for a variety of purposes including garage, classrooms, meeting rooms and some attractive stone-built garden buildings.
The extensive grounds are a particular feature of the property and surround the house, extending to about 10 acres of mature grounds. There are numerous species of trees on the grounds. Some of the trees on site are considered to have special amenity value.
The land is zoned 'Community Facilities' in the Ardee Local Area Plan 2010-2016, to protect, provide and improve Community Facilities.
Uses Permitted in Principle:
Religious, Educational and Community Facilities and uses ancillary to and associated with this land use, including Playing Fields, Car Parks, Research and Development Facilities, Health Care, Community Halls, Buildings of Worship and Buildings related to Community Welfare.
Uses Open for Consideration:
Crèches/Playgroups, Nursing homes and Cultural Buildings
There is a 'Green Corridors/Green Lungs' zoning objective on the land.