Ampney Park is conveniently located on the edge of the sought after village of Ampney Crucis. The village has a reputation as a friendly rural community, with a parish church, which can be accessed privately from the house and a wonderful local pub which is bordered by the Ampney Brook.
Cirencester is the nearest town and is often referred to as the Capital of the Cotswolds. Shopping in the town is highly regarded and off the main streets there are many interesting back lanes with specialist shops, particularly on Blackjack
Street. The Market Place hosts a twice weekly market as well as a Farmer's Market every other Saturday.
Sporting and Recreational
Sporting and recreational pursuits include National Hunt racing at Cheltenham and highly regarded polo clubs at Cirencester
Park and The Beaufort. There is hunting locally with the VWH and Cotswold Hunts and there are also a variety of nearby golf
courses. The Cotswold Water Park is near by and offers an extensive range of water sports including; water skiing, sailing, kayaking etc.
The surrounding countryside also offers many excellent rides and walks directly accessible from the property.
After the dissolution of the monasteries it is documented that the Lynsey family occupied Ampney Park for around 20 years prior to George Lloyd's tenure. In 1593, the Manor of Ampney Crucis was transferred to Anthony Playdell and remained in the possession of his family until 1724. The core of the present
house is reputed to have been built in 1628.
More recent alterations have made the precise original arrangement debatable, however the parlour survives as one of the most perfect early 17th Century interiors in the country, with a swagger stone chimney piece, panelling and an ornate plaster ceiling. The importance of the plaster work in the overall scheme is unusual in Gloucestershire and the panelling is also of exceptional quality. Within the Grand Hall is a magnificent Jacobean ceiling with the pendant bosses, panelling and a carved stone fireplace and over mantle with figures of c1625 and the arms of Pleydell.
In 1724, Ampney Park passed by marriage to the Dawnay's of Cowick Hall in Yorkshire and in 1765 it was sold to Samuel Blackwell of Cirencester. His family owned the property
until 1891, and it was believed to be George Blackwell who replaced older buildings with the long Georgian north wing. In the 1890s the new owner, Edmund Cripps, added a Billiard Room and further accommodation to the East of the house. Later the house was the home of the politician, Sir Frederick Cripps, until his death in 1959.
Ampney Park is an impressive Grade II listed Manor House set in beautiful formal lakeside gardens and surrounded by rolling and woodland parkland, extending to about 25.5 acres.
Approached through wrought iron gates set in fine stone piers, the driveway takes you over Ampney Brook flanked by clear water lakes and winds through its own parkland arriving at the front of the house.
The house itself is well laid out with elegant reception rooms and an impressive reception hall. One room of particular importance is the Grand Hall. Described by Nicholas Kingsley as "one of the most perfect early 17th Century interiors in the country". This room has extensive oak panelling of exceptional quality, carved to depict mythical beasts all individually designed. The Jacobean ceiling is extremely impressive
with beautifully moulded pendant bosses.
The Grand Hall leads on to the Drawing Room which has ornate cornicing and French doors leading onto the garden terrace. The Library is accessed from the Drawing room, your eyes are drawn to the open fireplace with a marble mantel and surround, flanked by two recessed display alcoves, with further fitted bookcases.
The Billiards room is particularly special with stained glass windows depicting the coats of arms of the Cripps, Radcliffe and Brydges families. From here there is access to the indoor swimming pool there are also doors to the drawing room and hall flowing back into the reception hall.
There is a wide cantilever staircase rising from the reception hall taking you to the first floor, here there are seven bedroom suites and a further bedroom and bathroom. On the second floor are two further bedrooms.
Within the house there is a self-contained staff flat that can be accessed via the kitchen hallway and also has its own independent access from outside. Situated outside between the house and the stable yard there is a self-contained two bedroom dwelling known as Stable Cottage.
Additionally, The Stone Barn is located opposite the rear of the house and conveniently accessed from the kitchen via a pretty courtyard with a raised pond and fountain.
From London take the M4 to Junction 15. Exit and proceed north towards Cirencester on the A419. At the Cirencester ring road turn right at the first roundabout and go straight over the roundabout following the A429. At the traffic lights, turn right on to Cherry Tree Lane which connects you to the A417. Turn
left and follow the A417 for just over a mile, the entrance gates to Ampney Park can be seen on the left about 500 yards after the sign for Ampney Crucis.* Beautiful And Historic Manor House With Secondary Accommodation* 2.5 Miles From The Market Town Of Cirencester* Compact Cotswold Estate With Stunning Terraced Gardens And Grounds* Magnificent Lakes And River, Paddocks And Woodland* Excellent Equestrian Facilities* EPC Exempt