On the hills of Lucca, in a beautiful sea view position, this imposing 17th-century manor villa was inhabited by duchess Paolina Borghese (Napoleon’s sister) in 1815 and is nowadays a luxurious private villa ideal for events and meetings.
The property is not far from a town providing all the necessary services (4km; 5’) and from Lucca (14km; 30’). Other Tuscan cities (Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra and Siena) are easily reached in less than two hours. Tuscan coast is no more than 30 minutes away by car.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDING
The imposing manor villa (1.220 sqm – 13,127 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms) is laid over five floors linked inside by an elevator.
- Underground floor: pool room with direct access to the garden;
- Basement: ample dining room, professional kitchen, living room with stone fireplace, pantry, cooled cellar and two bathrooms;
- Ground floor: entrance hall, living hall with fireplace and French windows, master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and walk-in closet, office, dining room, living room with fireplace, wardrobe and service bathroom;
- First floor: three double bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, service bedroom with en-suite bathroom, studio/library with bathroom;
- Second floor: laundry/ironing room, wardrobes.
Aside from the villa, the estate houses several other rural and residential buildings used by the farm. This buildings are part restored (three country houses totaling 310 sqm – 3,336 sqft) and part to be restored and/or finished (several farmhouses, storage rooms and two manorial chapels totaling 1,292 sqm – 13,902 sqft).
HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY
Built for the noble family Trenta, the property was originally a small rural hamlet, probably developed around what is nowadays the farm. The origin of the villa can be clearly traced back to the 17th century and was owned by Trenta family until 1783 when it passed onto the Mansi family.
In 1812 Elisa Baciocchi (Napoleon’s sister) bought the villa which however kept its rustic countryside style. Between 3 March and 5 June 1815 the villa, at that time a luxury countryside villa, was inhabited by Paolina Borghese (Napoleon’s sister too) in the period following Napoleon’s escape from Elba, when the duchess was closely watched by the forces of the Seventh Coalition.
The villa is the heart of a huge 111.0-ha estate in Lucca’s countryside, with a beautiful view over the Tuscan coastline. Stepping outside the villa one is welcomed by a nice paved terrace with two staircases leading down to the underlying Italian garden.
The uppermost terrace, at the same level of the building, houses the ample swimming pool with whirlwind (16 × 8 m) and a helipad.
The slope below the villa is covered by a huge olive grove (3,500 trees) which would allow producing up to 30 quintals of extra-virgin olive oil.