In the heart of Umbria, at only 6 km from the historic center of Perugia and 20 km from Assisi, historic villa dating back to the communal period with private park.
The nucleus of the main villa (1,000 sqm) s a look-out tower dating back to the age of the commune a time characterized, among other things, by the encastlement of villages in defense of the city. Thus it was that by statute in 1311, the city of Perugia ordered the village of San Fortunato to be fortified, our look-out tower being part of the fortification. Situated along a high road, in ages past known as ‘del colle’, in a territory known since antiquity for its vine and olive groves, the tower was eventually added-to and enlarged, first as a fortified house and ultimately as a manor. In the 19th century it hosted a small religious community. For the last fifty years it has been owned by the family of a well-known American poet.
The soaring ceilings, the massive wooden beams, the antique floor tiles, the expanse of the spaces, create a very Umbrian feel, a little austere but generous at the same time. Indeed, the house is both a product of, and witness to, the history of Umbria.
- Basement: cellars and laundry room;
- Ground floor: hallway, unconsecrated chapel, sitting room with fireplace, kitchen, living room and dining room, bedroom, bathroom and ironing room;
- First floor: formal living room with fireplace, double bedroom with en-suite bathroom, study, four bedrooms and bathroom;
- Second floor: currently unused except for a studio.
The villa also includes two independent apartments:
- Apartment A: open-space living/dining room, kitchen with fireplace, bedroom, studio and bathroom;
- Apartment B: small kitchen, living room with fireplace, two bedrooms, studio and bathroom.
The property also includes: garage, two storages/workshops, a free-standing bread-oven and wing with 5 room used as woodsheds.