Between the beautiful medieval towns of Castiglion Fiorentino and Cortona, in an open and sunny position, this 15.2-ha farm houses an accommodation business (24 beds) and a winery with 5.0 hectares of vineyards which produce each year roughly 38,500 bottles of wine.
The property is easily reached via a paved road and is provided with all the necessary services by the nearby town of Castiglion Fiorentino (4km; 5’). Other cities of Tuscany are nonetheless easily reached in less than two hours by car (Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Siena and Florence).
The closest airport is Umbria’s (67km; 1h 5’) but Rome, Florence and Bologna are more than equally valid alternatives which can be reached in less than two hours.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The property, with six apartments for its guests, offers a total of 24 authorized beds in 12 bedrooms.
The main villa (225 sqm – 2,421 sqft) is laid over three floors and includes the owners’ residence, a kitchen, the restaurant (65 sqm for 25 seats) and three apartments for the guests. Outside, a veranda allows hosting guests outdoor during Summer.
The guesthouse (250 sqm – 2,690 sqft), detached from the main villa, houses a kitchen, a technical room, the laundry and three more guest apartments.
The wine cellar (340 sqm – 3,658 sqft) is laid over three floors and is equipped with all the machineries needed for winemaking. A 60-sqm room houses a tasting area with a shop.
The property is then completed by a warehouse (50 sqm – 538 sqft), a storage house (85 sqm – 915 sqft) and a tool shed (11 sqm – 118 sqft), a technical room with laundry and a canopy to shelter tractors and vehicles.
The property covers a total of 15.2 hectares (37.6 acres). The most relevant portions are the vineyard (5.0 ha) and the olive grove (4.0 ha), followed by woodland (4.0 ha) and arable land (0.8 ha).
The garden spans 5,000 sqm and is dotted by trees and aromatic plants. A 5,000-sqm vegetable garden allows harvesting crops to be used in the Agriturismo.
Thirteen beehives allow producing an excellent honey (roughly 100 kg per year).
All the activities are carried out with rigorously organic methods since 1994 and in 2004 the farm was awarded the biodynamic certification. This means the land is not treated with chemicals and/or fertilizers which are replaced by phytotherapy. Pruning and harvesting are performed manually throughout the farm.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyard surface: 5,0 hectares
- Varieties: Sangiovese (38%), Chardonnay (24%), Incrocio Manzoni (24%), Merlot (14%)
- Planting years: late 1980s, May/June 2003, 2015
- Altitude: 200 – 350 m
- Exposure: south, east/west
- Planting distances: 3.00 × 1.50 m | 2.50 × 0.80 m
- Yearly production: 38,500 bottles
- Equipment: wooden barrels (n. 3 for total 55 hl), stainless steel vats (n. 12 for total 402 hl), con-crete basins (n. 5 for total 200 hl), vinsanto barrels (n. 50 for total 25 hl), vinplast for bottle storing (n. 400)
- Rosso Toscano IGT (18,000 bottles): 100% Sangiovese (€ 7.00 – € 16.00)
- Rosso Toscano IGT (4,000 bottles): 100% Merlot (€ 7.00)
- Bianco Toscano IGT (6,500 bottles): 100% Chardonnay (€ 10.00)
- Bianco Toscano IGT (6,000 bottles): 100% Incrocio Manzoni (€ 9.00)
- Rosé Toscano IGT (4,000 bottles): 100% Sangiovese (€ 10.00)
DETAILS ON OIL PRODUCTION
- Surface: 4.5 hectares (1,300 trees)
- Cultivar: Frantoio, Moraiolo and Leccino
- Altitude: 200 – 350 m
- Yearly production: 15.0 hl (year 2018)