In the countryside of Apulia, amidst the Murge highlands, this organic winery offers 10.0 hectares of vineyards (Nero di Troia, Bombino Nero, Aleatico, Negroamaro, Malbec and Fiano) and a fully operational wine cellar capable of producing up to 55,000 bottles of wine per year.
The property is easily reached via a paved road and allows accessing all the necessary services in a few minutes in the nearby town (4km; max 10’). The beautiful and renowned seaside of Apulia is just 20’ by car from the property. The beautiful Castel del Monte is also nearby, approximately 20’ by car.
Among the most interesting towns and cities of Southern Italy we must recall Trani (18km; 20’), Altamura (46km; 45’), Matera (67km; 1h 5’), Vieste (156km; 2h) and Gallipoli (232km; 2h 30’).
The closest airport is Bari (44km; 35’), but equally good alternatives are Naples (223km; 2h 15’), Crotone (317km; 4h 25’) and Rome (420km; 4h).
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The wine cellar of the property with storage rooms and warehouses (800 sqm – 8,608 sqft in total) houses all the rooms needed for wine processing, an aging and storage room, a shop where products of the estate are sold and the administrative offices with bathroom/dressing room. Ample canopies cover paved and unpaved aprons (roughly 2,000 sqm) allowing vehicles to freely maneuver. These canopies also accommodate a photovoltaic system (50 kW) installed in 2009 and feeding the electricity into the grid.
The wardens’ house (90 sqm – 968 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) is laid over two floors and made up of kitchen, living room, three bedrooms and a bathroom.
A fine 19th-century villa (330 sqm – 3,551 sqft, 6 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms) is made up of an ample entrance hall, kitchen, dining/tasting room, studio, six bedrooms (three of which with en-suite bathroom) and two bathrooms. The rooms inside the villa feature high ceilings: the white-painted walls, together with ample windows, provide the rooms with excellent brightness.
The villa boasts a private unpaved access road embellished by a pergola covered in vines.
The estate covers a total surface of roughly 14.1 hectares, the majority of which covered by the vineyards of the property (10.0 ha), fitted with an irrigation system that can be used to save vines in case of severe drought. The olive grove runs all around the vineyards and covers roughly 3.0 hectares.
Vineyards have been cultivated with rigorously organic methods since 2009 and in 2016 the winery was awarded the official organic certification.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyards surface: 10.0 hectares
- Varieties: Nero di Troia, Bombino Nero, Negroamaro, Aleatico di Puglia, Malbec and Fiano
- Altitude: 270 m asl
- Planting density: 5,600 vines / ha
- Training: Guyot (9.0 ha), pergola (1.0 ha)
- Soil composition: calcareous
- Grapes harvested: 9 tons / ha
- Yearly production: up to 55,000 bottles (410 hl) + 400 hl of cask wine
- Castel del Monte DOC: 100% Nero di Troia (up to 35,000 bottles)
- Castel del Monte Riserva DOCG: 100% Nero di Troia (up to 10,000 bottles)
- Castel del Monte Rosé DOCG: 90% Bombino Nero (up to 2,000 bottles)
- Puglia IGT Bianco: 100% Fiano (up to 5,000 bottles)
- Puglia IGT Rosso: 100% Aleatico (up to 3,000 bottles)
DETAILS ON OIL PRODUCTION
- Olive grove surface: 3.0 hectares (roughly 500 secular trees)
- Altitude: 270 m asl
- Average yield: approx. 55 kg of olives per tree
- Yearly production: up to 50.0 hl