On the Chianti Hills, not far from Florence, this 35.9-ha estate includes an ample Chianti Classico vineyard (15.7 ha) and an olive grove (4.3 ha) grown with rigorously organic methods. The imposing manor villa (905 sqm) houses the historic cellars, the master residence and the wardens’ apartment for a total of 9 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms.
Historic cities of Tuscany are all easily reached: San Gimignano (28km; 45’), Florence (34km; 40’), Volterra (51km; 1h 5’) and Siena (55km; 1h) are just a few.
The closest airport is Florence (32km; 30’) but Pisa (73km; 1h), Milan (330km; 3h 30’), Rome (320km; 3h 15’) and Bologna (121km, 1h 25’) are equally valid alternatives.
CURRENT STATE OF THE FARM
The estate with its vineyards and the olive grove has an excellent potential, but is currently inactive in this sense. A third party is tasked with working the land, harvesting grapes and olives, and processing them into the final products. The wine cellar in the estate is not used and needs a thorough restoration and a general updates of its systems and machinery. Once back in operation, the estate could produce on its own up to 115,000 bottles of wine and up to 1.5 tons of extra-virgin olive oil.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The manor villa (905 sqm – 9,738 sqft, 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms) houses on the ground floor ample rooms for the production and sale and a few storage rooms (450 sqm). The remaining surface houses the master residence on three floors and the wardens’ apartment on two floors:
- Master residence (6 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms): ample living room (sitting room and dining room) with terrace, ample living room, studio, three bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, three bedrooms, two bedrooms and two terraces on the second floor (accessed from the bedroom);
- Warden’s residence (2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom): entrance/living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
The guesthouse (160 sqm – 1,722 sqft, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom) is laid over two floors organized as follows:
- Ground floor: business offices;
- First floor: apartment accessed from an outdoor staircase and made up of ample living room with kitchen corner, bedroom and bathroom.
The additional wine cellar (240 sqm – 2,582 sqft) is laid over two floors too:
- Ground floor: cellar with stainless steel vats;
- First floor: storage room and warehouse.
The original nucleus of the complex can be dated back to the 16th century and its existence is proven by documents reporting a small convent where Medici family members used to rest while hunting. The two annexes, on the other hand, have been built in a much more recent time (1960s) to ease and increase the agricultural production.
The two annexes and the agricultural section of the main building need a few works to be carried out in order to restore them and upgrade their systems.
The estate covers a total surface of 35.9 hectares split among vineyards (15.7 ha), olive grove (4.3 ha), mixed woodland (14.5 ha) and arable land (1.4 ha). Products (vines and olive trees) are cared and harvested with organic methods. Woods are mainly populated by oaks and similar trees, while arable land can be used to plant more vines.
A few beehives (30) allow producing good organic honey which is not affected by pesticides and chemicals.
Being inside a huge natural reserve (just under 1,000 acres), the property is also populated with boars, roe deers, hares, foxes and pheasants, all while offering beautiful views and excellent areas for trekking and hiking.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyard surface: 15.7 hectares
- Varieties: Sangiovese (80%), other varieties (20%)
- Altitude: 280 m asl
- Exposure: north, west, south, east
- Density: 3,333 – 4,464 vines / ha
- Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
- Average grape yield: 9.0 to 11.0 tons / ha
- Soil composition: clayish-calcareous
- Grapes harvested: roughly 12.6 tons
- Yearly production: up to 115,000 bottles (IGT)
DETAILS ON OIL PRODUCTION
- Surface: 4.3 hectares (roughly 2,000 trees)
- Cultivar: Frantoio, Leccino
- Average altitude: 280 m asl
- Density: 5 × 5 m
- Yearly oil production: 1.5 tons (16.3 hl)