The area is noted for its excellent schools in both the independent and state sectors including Packwood Haugh, Moreton Hall, Oswestry School, Ellesmere College, Shrewsbury School.
Oswestry, Chester, Shrewsbury and Midland centres are within daily commuting distance with the M54 providing easy access to the National motorway network. Welshpool Airfield is nearby and regional airports include Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
Glansevern Hall is approached down a long tree-lined avenue of mature chestnuts and sits beautifully within its own land.
Approaching the house to the front is a large turning circle that offers a true sense of arrival. A large and elegant paneled Entrance Hall greets the visitor and from which all the principal reception rooms lead.
Three large reception rooms include a fine paneled Library, drawing room with Chinese inspired wallpaper and well-proportioned dining room along with a good sized family kitchen with breakfast room that leads on to a sunny terrace.
The first floor bedroom accommodation is made up of five principal bedrooms, the sixth on a second floor. The main suite includes a bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. There are three further bedrooms and a laundry room on the first floor.
To the rear of the house and connecting at the first floor level is an integral one bedroom Flat.
The house is very well preserved and a host of beautiful period features including original cornicing, fireplaces and paneling lend a comfortable stature to this impressive home.
Beyond doubt one of the finest houses in the border county of Montgomeryshire neighbouring Shropshire. Glansevern Hall is a beautiful Grade II* Regency Greek Revival style house built between 1801 and 1806. Landowner, Arthur Davies Owen, commissioned renowned architect Joseph Bromfield whose work is also seen at Rug near Corwen, Nannau near Dolgellau and Attingham Park in Shropshire.
The building is of great historic and architectural importance: the main south front with five windows, broken by four Ionic pilasters which support a plain architrave was compared with the Petit Trianon of Versailles by John Hilling in ‘The Historic Architecture of Wales’.
In 1876 the estate passed through the female line to the Humphreys family, who adopted the additional name of Owen and took up the Owen coat of arms. The Humphreys-Owen family were at Glansevern until 1951 when the property was sold to new owners in 1982. They started a restoration program culminating in opening the magnificent gardens to the public in 1996.
The current owners have continued this tradition and today the house and gardens at Glansevern Hall present a beautiful home that is also a thriving business.
Montgomery 4.1 miles - Oswestry 21 miles Shrewsbury 25 miles - Ludlow 40 miles Chester 48 miles - Birmingham 74 miles
Directions From Shrewsbury/A5 take the A458 towards Welshpool, then follow directions as below:
From Welshpool head North West on the A458 towards Church Street, turn left on to Church Street, continue to follow the A458 at the Sarn Bryn Caled roundabout take the third exit on the A483 after about 3.5 miles turn left and Glansevern Hall can be found on your left after a short drive.
From Chester, take the A458 south to Wrexham, Oswestry then Welshpool. From Welshpool, proceed south on A458 towards Newtown and after 4 miles just after Berriew you cross the river Rhiw and the entrance to Glansevern is 400 yards on the left hand side.