Not far from the beautiful city of Arezzo, at the border between Tuscany and Umbria, this 8.0-ha estate houses a 28.4-ha vineyard with its own wine cellar (producing 60,000 bottles of wine per year). The residential portion is made up of a cozy manorial villa (9 bedrooms), the owner’s house (2 bedrooms) and several other buildings (offices, storage rooms…) partially restored and partially to be finished.
The property, in a quiet and retired location, is easily reached and is provided with all the services by the nearby towns of Foiano della Chiana (13km; 20’) and Cortona (16km; 20’). Shopping lovers can find their paradise at the Valdichiana Outlet (14km; 20’) located just outside Foiano, right next to the A1 highway junction.
The other historic cities of Tuscany (Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, San Gimignano) are all easily reached by car, as well as the airports in Perugia, Rome and Florence.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The manorial villa (960 sqm – 10,330 sqft, 9 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms), dating back to the 17th century, has been split into nine guest units in 2014. The bedrooms, based on their position inside the villa, enjoy beautiful views.
- Unit A: living room with cooking corner, bedroom and bathroom (shower and tub);
- Unit B: double bedroom with sofa, desk and private bathroom (shower and tub);
- Unit C and D: ample bedroom with desk and private bathroom (shower and tub);
- Unit E, F, G and H: double bedroom with private bathroom (shower);
- Unit I: suite, kitchen, living room with private bathroom (shower);
The shared area for the guests include the entrance hall with reception, a living room and a breakfast room equipped with professional kitchen.
The owner’s house (206 sqm – 2,216 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms) is laid over two floors and organized as follows:
- Ground floor: living room, kitchen and bathroom;
- First floor: two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The old lemon house (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft) is currently used for the offices of the business.
An ample building (1,180 sqm – 12,697 sqft) on three floors is currently in builder’s finish but could be complete to create further accommodations for the guests. The underground portion of the building extends below the garden and could easily work as a storage room and/or an extension of the cellar if needed.
Located a short distance from the main complex, the wine cellar (900 sqm – 9,684 sqft) has been obtained from the restoration of an old farm (dating back to the 18th century) where ample spaces were once used for animals and tools. The building is equipped with all the machinery needed for wine making and ageing, all in a controlled-temperature environment. The cellar also hosts guided tours and tasting sessions.
This podere is completed by shed currently used a s shelter for vehicles and machinery.
A ruined farmhouse (roughly 730 sqm – 7,855 sqft) could be recovered and restored to further expand the accommodation business.
The villa is surrounded by a well-maintained Italian garden with graveled walkways and a beautiful panoramic swimming pool (17 x 7 m) enriched by a pool house (80 sqm – 861 sqft) and a grass solarium all around. A few canopies offers a convenient covered space for vehicles.
The estate, in its entirety, cover a total surface of roughly 98.0 hectares, a good part of which covered by vineyards (28.4 ha). It is important to take into account that less than half of these vineyards (11.3 ha) are currently exploited in wine production. This way, the winery produces approximately 60,000 bottles of wine per year, with a theoretical maximum (by using the whole vineyard) of roughly 150,000 bottles per year. In the past, the winery also sold cask wine and grapes based on need and circumstances.
What’s more, between 2017 and 2018 it was decided to eradicate 20.2 ha of vines (bringing the potential maximum up to almost 50 hectares of vineyards). It is still possible to buy further rights and plant new vines, since the soil is highly suitable for this.
The remaining surface is covered by either woodland (9.0 ha), arable land, olive grove (1.4 ha with Frantoio, Leccino and Correggiolo varieties), two lakes (roughly 1.0 ha in total) and the courtyards/gardens of the buildings (6.9 ha).
Access into the property is granted by a beautiful tree-lined avenue with cypresses (200 m).
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyards surface: 28.4 hectares (11.3 ha productive + 17.1 ha non-productive)
- Varieties: Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Vermentino, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Nero, Sauvignon Blanc, Trebbiano, San Colombano, Malvasia
- Average altitude: 300 m asl
- Density of planting: 4,500 – 8,400 vines / ha
- Distance of planting: 1.40 × 1.40 m | 1.60 × 1.60 m | 2.80 × 1.40 m | 3.20 × 1.60 m
- Years of planting: 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
- Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
- Soil composition: sandy, clayish
- Average yield: 5.0 – 9.0 tons / ha
- Yearly production: roughly 60,000 bottles (up to 150,000 in full production)
- Workers: 2 open-ended contract + 1 fixed-term contract
- Cortona Syrah DOC: Syrah (€ 12.00)
- SuperTuscan IGT: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot (€ 24.00)
- Toscana Rosso IGT: Syrah (€ 24.00)
- Toscana Rosso IGT: Merlot (€ 12.00)
- Toscana Rosso IGT: Vermentino (€ 20.00)