Beanacre Manor sits at the end of a tree-lined drive amongst mature gardens and grounds on the edge of the north Wiltshire village of Beanacre.
The village lies between Melksham and Chippenham; both provide a good range of amenities, shops and schools.
The main regional centre is the historic city of Bath known as much for its Roman and Georgian origins and architecture as for its excellent shopping and Theatre Royal and Holbourne Museum.
There are a number of highly-respected schools in the area, including Prior Park, Monkton Combe, Millfield, St. Mary's Calne, Clifton College, Cheltenham and Marlborough.
Communication links are superb with junction 17 of the M4 approximately 10 miles to the north and mainline rail service to London Paddington from Chippenham (journey time from 63 minutes).
There is racing at Bath, Newbury and renowned Cheltenham, Premiership rugby clubs at Bath and Gloucester and excellent golf courses found at Dodington, Castle Combe.
Top-level polo is played at The Beaufort Polo Club at Westonbirt and Cirencester Park.
After the dissolution of the Augustinian Lacock Abbey in 1539 (Abbess: Joan Temmse), Beanacre Manor was purchased by the displaced nuns and used for farming lavender. The long range of low barns in the courtyard to the north of the walled garden has always been referred to as "The Lavender Sheds".
Simon Noble, from Churchill in Somerset, subsequently purchased Beanacre Manor and built the present house on the site c.1585. He converted an earlier building by adding cross-wings and a central porch to produce the "E-form" plan typical for Elizabethan houses. Fireplaces, paneling and decorative friezes, plus many other architectural details of wood and stone, are also typical of the period. However he sold the Estate back to the previous owner, Sir John Jenyns, for no more than �4 plus covering debts Mr Noble had acquired. Fourteen years later, in 1620 Jenyns let the property for 99 years to Isaac Selfe of Lacock.
The solid stone wine-room extension, some internal modifications and further outbuildings were built to very high quality c. 1700. The property passed through marriage into the Methuen family of nearby Corsham Court. By the beginning of the 19th Century the house had become a farm and as such it remained until 1919, when the son of the Lord Methuen took possession and commissioned Sir Harold Breakspear to restore and modernise the house. On succeeding to the title, Paul Methuen then moved to Corsham Court and the property was bought by the present vendor in 2003. The property appeared in Country Life magazine on 4th December 1937.
Beanacre Manor is a superb country house. Being Grade II* Listed it is a residence of important historical merit. The name Beanacre found its way from the original Benecar derived, in turn, from the high quality of water in the village. Most of the older properties (including Beanacre Manor) still possess their original wells. The Manor is built in a traditional vernacular style of Cotswold stone under a stone tiled roof, with mullioned windows with leaded lights and drip stones.
For a property of its stature and architectural quality, Beanacre Manor is compact and manageable - there are splendid rooms for entertaining but nothing superfluous. The principal reception rooms are unusually light and well-proportioned for a house of this period, with large windows.
Upon entering there is a welcoming reception hall, with its magnificent flag stone floor and impressive fireplace. The oak-panelled drawing room and dining room have a warm feeling to them and both display incredible fire surrounds and above the doorways are exceptional wood carvings.
Adjoining the dining room is the kitchen/breakfast room that is fitted with modern appliances. Beyond there are useful service rooms, for example a walk-in larder, a utility room and an office.
The old kitchen is no longer in use but would make a suitable annexe subject to the necessary planning consents.
The first and second floors are approached at the rear of the house via a pair of oak spiral staircases with newel posts made from the masts of 16th century merchant ships. The principal suite comprises a large oak-panelled bedroom with an adjoining bathroom and dressing room. There are four further bedrooms and two bathrooms on the first floor, all charming and enjoying wonderful views.
On the second floor there are two bedrooms, a family bathroom and several attic rooms.
The Manor sits within established gardens and grounds, which provide a delightful setting for the house. At the top of the drive there is a pair of early 18th century carved stone pillars with wrought iron gates and a flagstone path leading to the entrance porch. Further flagstone paths wrap around the house and arrive at the main walled garden. This includes a sunken rose garden, a pergola, and a charming Grade II Listed gazebo to one corner.
To the north west of the gardens there is a range of outbuildings including a large Dutch barn, lavender shed and former cow byres converted into garaging and stables. The former milking parlour has been beautifully converted into a three bedroom cottage. There is also a tennis court, a paddock and an ancient orchard beyond.
From Chippenham take the A350 south towards Melksham. When entering the village of Beanacre continue and there is a no-though road on the right hand just before the entrance to Beechfield House Hotel. The pillared gates to Beanacre Manor can be found at the tip of the crescent. The Manor is at the top of the drive on the right.