On the biggest isle of Lake Iseo, Monte Isola, 13th-century medieval castle. The property enjoys an exceptional view over the lake and the Isle of Saint Paul and offers a total of 7 bedrooms (two of which inside the tower), 5 bathrooms and a 5,500-sqm park. The building has been restored a last time in 1964 and is in need of restoration: by completing these works one could establish a boutique hotel or a location for events and weddings.
Services are all available in the villages of the island and can be easily reached on foot in a few minutes. By ferry (with daily service) one can reach the mainland and from here move around Northern Italy (Iseo, Desenzano, Verona, Milan, Como, Trento, Venice…).
The closest airport is the one in Verona (85km; 1h) but the terminals in Milan, Bologna, Venice and Bologna are equally convenient.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDING
The castle (550 sqm – 5,918 sqft, 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms) is laid over three floors plus the tower (two additional floors) and has been restored in 1964 for the last time. Inside, the layout of the building is as follows:
- Ground floor: kitchen with pantry, dining room, gallery, service room, bedroom with en-suite bathroom (ideal for a keeper), technical room with firewood shelter and a guest bathroom;
- First floor: living room with ample terrace (216 sqm), library, studio and bathroom;
- Second floor: four bedrooms and two bathrooms;
- Third floor (tower): bedroom;
- Fourth floor (tower): bedroom with rooftop panoramic terrace.
HISTORY, STATE AND FINISHES
The castle was originally built in the 13th century as a defensive keep, until two centuries later it was converted into a private fortified villa. A stone plaque testifies a first restoration carried out in 1524 (AD MDXXIIII).
Over the 17th century, the property was first expanded with new walls and then razed to the ground in 1696. In the following century, the building was built anew and a few elements can be dated back to this period (the vaulted ceilings on the ground floor, the now-destroyed outdoor portico on the Northern and Eastern sides). In 1912 the castle was registered by the Sovrintendenza as a protected site and in 1924 it was restored once again. On September 17, 1960, following a dramatic storm, the Southern wall suddenly collapsed and the breach is still visible nowadays.
The last restoration was completed in 1964 and the castle needs a thorough restoration and updating to be exploited at its full potential. Structurally, the building is in excellent shape, while the finishes bears the signs of the passing of time and needs to be worked on. Among the most characteristic and interesting elements we must mention the beautiful vaulted ceilings, the huge original fireplaces, the stone portal at the entrance, the drawbridge and the winding stone staircase inside the tower.
Next to the two terraces, the castle is surrounded by 5,500 sqm of land covered in a gently-sloped harden with direct view over the lake.
The terrace on the first floor, over 216 sqm in surface, is perfect for al fresco dining and, thanks to the incredible view, offers the perfect background for events, marriages and ceremonies.
USE AND POTENTIAL USES
The castle, thanks to its enviable location with view over the Lake and the Isle of Saint Paul, is perfect both as a private residence and as an accommodation business. The retired position close to the services is ideal for guests. What’s more, this beautiful location s the perfect background for events and business meetings.