Such classical beauties come seldom to the open market. The house complex at Lai 22 stands out as a true gem and has survived surprisingly well through out its history. The oldest part of the building hidden behind the courtyard dates back from the medieval times. There are still some visible parts of the old wall and carved stone. Also the winch mechanism at the attic that was used for lifting heavy supplies has survived until this day.
The facade we see today was built in 1780 and represents neoclassical architecture focusing on constructing long-lasting and well crafted buildings of great quality. This building served first as a bank office but was soon after remodelled in to a residential space. The balcony was added and a staircase from the street side. New windows and interior walls were designed to meet the new architecture. Also an additional building was built to connect the both houses. Most of these changes were mastered under the watchful eye of R. von Engelhardt. Before falling to the hands of the state in 1940 it served as a loving home for many noble families.
At the moment the official living area consists of 597 square meters and has been acting as a popular hostel for many tourists visiting Tallin. There are +200m2 more of space in the attic that can be changed into apartments or other useful space with high ceilings and possibility to add windows.
All 3 buildings have several spacious rooms with very high ceilings and big windows. There are several beautiful details inside the premises dating back to its glory days such us ornaments on the ceilings and grand ceramic ovens that are still in use. A magical courtyard stays hidden between the two main buildings. Such a perfect place to celebrate many summer evenings, family gatherings and other memorable occasions.
The current owner renewed the whole canalisation system and water pipes 3 years ago. There are also existing plans to be seen regarding the possible construction of the attic area. These plans have been approved by the Estonian national heritage board.