County Donegal is located on the north-westerly tip of Ireland and is considered one of Ireland's most beautiful and unspoilt counties which is renowned for its history, heritage, and landscape. Donegal is typified by its dramatic towering sea cliffs, rolling lush hills and stunning beaches.
Marble Hill Strand is one of the most beautiful settings in Donegal and its blue flag sandy beach is popular amongst swimmers, surfers, bathers and walkers. An abundance of sporting and leisure facilities are available close by, including Jaws Watersports which offers a local Surf School in Dunfanaghy.
The popular fishing village of Portnablagh (3 km) is convenient for local services with the towns of Dunfanaghy (5.5 km) and Letterkenny (30 km) providing further amenities including shops, banks, and restaurants.
Local areas of interest include the 4-star Shandon Hotel and Spa (1.5 km), Ards Forest Park, a 1200-acre park with wonderful trails, and also Glenveagh National Park (18 km) which is a hillwalker's paradise with its mountains, lakes, waterfalls and woodland.
For golfing enthusiasts, Dunfanaghy Golf Club (5.5 km) offers one of the finest links courses in Donegal, while Rosapenna Golf Resort in Downings (20 km) has two championship links courses - Sandy Hills and Old Tom Morris - and third course (St Patrick's Links by Tom Doak) scheduled to open in Summer of 2021.
Local schooling is available at Ballymore National School, Holy Trinity National School and Faugher National School. Secondary school options are available in both Letterkenny and Milford.
Nearby airports include Donegal Airport (47 km), offering local connections within Ireland and Scotland, and City of Derry Airport (78 km).
The house known as Ochiltree was built c.1929 by Charlotte Law and her husband Hugh A. Law, the former MP. Ochiltree took its name from the village of the same name in Ayrshire in Scotland where Charlotte's family, the Stewart family, originally came from.
The Law family sold the property c. 1949 to Hugh Duffield who retained a cottage on the land while selling the house and the remaining lands to Samuel James Sibley and his wife. The Sibley family sold the property in 1952 to Arthur Hans Hamilton and his wife Mary. The Hamilton family were keen on forestry, hence the poplar and spruce plantations which they planted.
The current owners, the MacArthur family, bought the property in 1970 when the Hamilton family moved to Switzerland. Colan and Biddy MacArthur have since maintained the house and grounds to a very high standard.
Ochiltree, like the rest of Marble Hill, enjoys a very benign micro climate where many tender plants and shrubs thrive. The grounds contain a collection of giant Eucalyptus trees. The house is surrounded by mature broadleaf woodland, mainly Beech trees, and is is rich in birdlife creating an atmosphere of seclusion and tranquillity.
The cut and dressed stone used in the construction of Ochiltree to create the attractive floors and terrace garden had been salvaged from demolished buildings in the nearby Ards Estate.
Ochiltree is a wonderful property dating back to the 1929. Set on the famous Wild Atlantic Way, the property is a short walk to the popular Marble Hill Strand.
Approached via a sweeping driveway through pillared gates, the house occupies an elevated position within a private woodland setting.
The property offers flexible accommodation over two storeys and retains period features, including flagstones on the ground floor and sash windows.
The front door opens into a reception hall with which offers access to the sitting room with a Stanley stove, kitchen with an Aga cooker, the dining room, study, and a fabulous sunroom. There is also a pantry, utility, and wet room with WC on the ground floor. The first floor comprises four double bedrooms, one single bedroom, two bathrooms and a WC. There is also a basement cellar that extends to approximately 15.2 sq m / 164 sq ft of space.
A full layout of the accommodation is shown on the adjoining floorplans.
There is a range of outbuildings comprising two garages, general stores, and a workshop, all extending in size to approximately 115.9 sq m / 1,247 sq ft.
Gardens & Grounds
The gardens and grounds are a key feature of the property. Immediately to the south of the house is a small formal garden bound by a stone wall and comprising stepped terraces, plus beds well stocked with flowing plants and shrubs. Mature deciduous and conifer woods form the majority of the remainder of the grounds within the property and provide wonderful walks, privacy and amenity.
In all, the grounds extend to about 6 hectares / 15 acres.