Built in about 1867, the convent is a seven-bay, two-storey, gothic revival house designed by the architect, William Caldbeck. The property has had many uses in its lifetime most notably a home for the local community of nuns and a boarding school for girls up until 1968.
Mercy Convent is located on Emmet Street in the bustling historic town of Trim in Co Meath. The property is in a central location with approx. 60 metres of frontage onto one of the busiest streets in the town.
The nearby town of Navan, the administrative town for the county, provides a further range of amenities and shopping while Trim is less than 40km from Dublin City.
The Mercy Convent is entranced through electric gates off Emmet Street providing both vehicular and pedestrian access to the property. The property is bordered by educational buildings to the south, Emmet Street to the west, parish buildings to the east and offices to the north.
Built over 3 floors, the property is in excellent condition throughout and has been well cared for by the current owners. Most of the accommodation is multi-functional and the bedroom and utility area layout can be redesigned with ease. Subject to the necessary planning permission and in line with the protected status of the property, the building would suit a range of different uses including hospitality, and residential.
The adjoining church building accommodates a large seating area as well as a sacristy and gallery area.
Many of the period features remain intact. Notable internal features include some sash windows, period coving and centre pieces, fireplaces, church organ and altar and many more.
Please refer to the floorplans for a full list and layout of the accommodation.
There is a double garage with roller shutter doors and block built shed on site.
The grounds are exceptionally neat and well cared for. There are many fine specimen trees to the front of the site as well as a lawned area and driveway. To the rear of the site there is a large, tarmacked space suitable for parking for up to 30 cars and a wheelchair access to the property.
The grounds extend to about 0.4 hectare / 1.1 acres.
The site is zoned 'Commercial Town Centre' in the Trim Development Plan 2016 � 2020.
The current zoning is "to protect, provide for and / or improve town and village centre facilities and uses".
B & B / Guest House, Bank / Financial Institution, Betting Office, Bring Banks, Cinema, Community Facility / Centre, Conference/Event Centre, Convenience Outlet, Childcare Facility, Children Play / Adventure Centre, Cultural Facility, Dance Hall / Night Club, Education (Primary or Second Level), Education (Third Level), Funeral Home, Health Centre, Healthcare Practitioner, Home Based Economic Activities, Hotel / Motel / Hostel, Leisure / Recreation / Sports Facilities, Research and Development, Offices 1,000sq. m., Place of Public Worship, Public House, Residential / Sheltered Housing, Restaurant / Caf�, Supermarket / Superstore, Shop, Take-Away / Fast Food Outlet, Telecommunication Structures, Veterinary Surgery, Water Services / Public Services.
Open for Consideration Uses:
Agri � Business, Amusement Arcade, Car Park (incl. Park and Ride), Drive Through Restaurant, Enterprise Centre, Garden Centre, Hospital, Motor Sales / Repair, Petrol Station, Plant & Tool Hire, Retail Warehouse, Retirement Home / Residential Institution / Retirement Village, Science & Technology Based Enterprise.
Strictly by private appointment by the sole selling agents:
33 Molesworth Street
Tel: +353 (0)1 663 4350
PSRA License: 002223
Fixtures & Fittings
All fixtures and fittings are excluded from the sale including garden statuary, light fittings, and other removable fittings, although some items may be available by separate negotiation.
Mains water, mains sewerage, main electricity, oil fired central heating, two person lift.
Please note that the selling agents have not checked the services and any purchaser should satisfy themselves with the availability and adequacy of all services.
Historic Building Listing
Mercy Convent also known as Saint Mary's Convent of Mercy, is listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage as a protected structure (Reference number: 14328030).
Listing In Use As Reference
Convent of Mercy c. 1860 - 1870 Convent/Nunnery 14328030
Entry & Possession
Entry is by agreement with vacant possession.
Gerrard L McGowan LLP Solicitors
7 St George's Square,
Wayleaves and Rights of Access
The property will be sold with the benefit of all existing wayleave rights, including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private. The purchaser will be held to have satisfied themselves as to the nature of all such rights and others. There is a pedestrian access leading to the parish buildings, but this access will cease to exist once the property is sold.
The Eircode is C15 WD62