The Newhouse Estate, Redlynch, Wiltshire, SP5 2NX
Redlynch 1 mile, Salisbury 9.5 miles, Southampton 15 miles (London Waterloo approx. 65 minutes), Winchester 25 miles, London 90 miles
The Lots: 1 Listed country house with courtyard, two further houses and let buildings in an exceptional park and woodland setting About 275.96 acres (111.67 hectares)
Historical Note The Newhouse Estate is an important, privately owned property on the northern edge of the New Forest National Park. Since 1633, the house and Estate have been owned by the same family with an historical association to Admiral Nelson.
Newhouse, or Tychebourne Park, as it was previously called, was built between 1604 and 1619 by William Stockman and believed to be designed by John Thorpe (1564/5 to 1655) with an unusual Y-shaped design referred to as a Trinity House, representing the three arms of the Trinity and believed to be one of only two such houses in Britain; the other being Newhouse, Goodrich in Herefordshire.
Newhouse stands on high and dry ground just south of an historic droving link to the south east from Salisbury in the 16th and early 17th centuries. At the time of Newhouses design, the three woodland copses of Wall Copse, Shearwood and Grove, would have been clearly visible from principal southern rooms of the main house across the then parkland and moorland. These ancient woodland oak copses still stand today, although their distinct shape has been disguised by latter day secondary woodland.
Newhouse was first sold as a mansion house by William Stockman to Sir Edward Gorges, son of Thomas Gorges, builder of Longford Castle. Newhouse and the Estate was acquired from Sir Edward Gorges in 1633 by Giles Eyre of Brickworth House, Whiteparish and his descendants have remained at Newhouse until this day. Giles gave Newhouse to his second son Ambrose. Ambrose sold Newhouse to his cousin, Sir Samuel Eyre. In 1817, Harriet Eyre of Newhouse married George Matcham, the nephew of Admiral Lord Nelson, whose mother, Catherine, was Nelsons favourite younger sister. The marriage also brought about the name change to Eyre-Matcham.
In 1742 and 1760, the two Georgian wings were added to the house and both were extensively restored in the 1970s and 1990s. Finally, a large Victorian kitchen and servants quarters were added to the house in 1879 by the current owners great great grandfather and this part of the house was removed in 1972, thereby restoring the house to its 18th century shape and design.
The Jacobean and Georgian interior of the main house has been restored and maintained over the centuries.
Adjacent to the main house are the early 18th century Grade II Listed Clock (Coach) House, stables, outbuildings and cottage. The surrounding parkland forms an integral part of the setting of Newhouse, within which there is a walled garden built during the Napoleonic War, which has been undergoing gradual restoration.
Newhouse is Listed Grade I by English Heritage for its special architectural and historic interest.
The Newhouse Estate The Newhouse Estate is the quintessential English Estate. The fine and historic principal house at the northern end of the Estate, is approached up a long drive and fully protected by its own parkland and woodland, offering complete privacy.
As you move south through the Estate, you cover rolling arable and grassland interspersed with woods and copses. The land flows around the village of Lover and hamlet of Bohemia, where there are numerous village paddocks offering potential for alternative uses, subject to the necessary planning consents. Around the fringes, there are groups of farm buildings and individual barns, some providing support for the agricultural land and others now in commercial use. At the south east end of the Estate lies the magnificent Loosehanger Woods, which has been well managed and provides numerous compartments of both broadleaf and softwood trees. Loosehanger provides considerable environmental and sporting appeal.
Up until the last few years the Estate has run an enjoyable shoot focused primarily on the parkland woods and the land and woods at Milkhills Park Farm. In addition, the Estate holds large herds of principally fallow and roe deer. The stalking across the whole Estate is currently let under licence.
Finally, the land rises to a ridge on the south west boundary of the Estate where a small farmstead provides a typical New Forest agricultural holding.
The Estate is classically diversified, with residential appeal, commercial buildings, farmland and woodland, as well as being of immense environmental importance and sporting interest.
Lot 1 - Newhouse About 275.96 acres (111.67 hectares) The stunning Grade I Listed Jacobean manor house is approached from the rural lane by a long private drive that rises gently between an avenue of lime and cherry trees. The driveway passes between ponds to a circular driveway at the southern front of the house.
The fine front door is flanked by three mullioned and transom windows either side; opening into a magnificent hall with early 18th century staircase with barley sugar balusters. Leading south from the hall lies the morning room with fine fire place, separate cloakroom and a door on to the magnificent double height drawing room with fireplace, ornate plaster work and a beautiful bay window at the southern end looking out over the park and lake.
From the hallway, the north wing comprises a magnificent dining room with c18th/19th century panelling and ionic oak columns supporting the fireplace mantel over an arched stone fireplace. The room is decorated with an early 20th century rococo-style plaster ceiling. Adjoining the dining room lies the kitchen in its original position in the north wing with a passage leading back to a rear hall. In the east wing is a library with magnificent arched fireplace and built-in book cases, separate cloakroom and door and stairs down to substantial cellars.
Stairs from the entrance hall rise to the first floor with a fine galleried landing, a master bedroom and bathroom, second bedroom with en-suite shower room and bedroom three with a back storeroom. The staircase continues to the second floor which provides four further bedrooms and a bathroom.
The Gardens, Park & Woodland Lawned gardens flank the house to the south, east and west, which lead out to the parkland studded with fine mature trees. To the south of the house, the lawns slope gently down to a magnificent walled garden, now in need of some repair.
Surrounding the house and garden lies about 72 acres of undulating parkland and arable land interspersed with about 190 acres of mature, predominantly hardwood woodland. The parkland includes three lakes of which two straddle the entrance drive. The land within Lot 1 benefits from no public rights of way, providing the house with unrivalled protection and privacy.
Top Stables Lying a short distance to the north west of Newhouse and separated by a gravelled parking and turning area, lies Top Stable, a Grade II Listed detached house converted from the 18th and 19th century coach house and stable buildings and arranged around a delightful courtyard. Part of the southern building remains unconverted and is used for general storage and has a delightful ornamental clock on the southern gable end, with a Saginaw cupola above.
Top Stables was originally converted into a fine single dwelling in the late 1990s, with alterations made in 2005. A spur from the main drive leads into a gravelled courtyard through an entrance in a high brick wall with tall piers.
The property comprises: large reception hall, office, bathroom, separate WC and kitchen/breakfast room. On the first floor is a master bedroom, two further bedrooms and a bathroom.
From the kitchen a door leads to a rear lobby linking to a southern wing with a substantial drawing room and stairs up to two further bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Outside, beyond Top Stables is a second grass courtyard flanked by a high wall, a derelict stone barn, timber stables and a further barn in need of some renovation
Newhouse Cottage Lying to the west of Top Stables and adjoining a secondary access drive to Moor Lane, lies Newhouse Cottage, a delightful detached house built in about 1907 and surrounded by its own gardens and protected by a high hedge. The property comprises: entrance hallway, sitting room, dining room, kitchen and cloakroom on the ground floor, with four bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor. To the rear lies a small outhouse with two rooms, currently used for storage.
Bromleys Yard Situated on the southern boundary of the park and woodland with private access off Timberley Lane lies this range of former farm buildings. They comprise a fully clad portal frame barn and a further derelict outbuilding, all enclosed by a fence. The site is currently let for the storage of plant and machinery.
Tenure: The property is sold subject to the following agreements: 1 Newhouse - Vacant Top Stables - Vacant Newhouse Cottage - AST Bromleys Yard - Landlord & Tenant Act Parkland - FBTs and Grazing Licences 2A Milkhills Farm Land - FBTs and Grazing Licences Milkhills Farm Buildings - Part FBTs and part Annual Licence Langley Building - Landlord & Tenant Act 2B Church Walk Farm - AHA tenancy * 3A Mount Pleasant Farm - FBT 3B Land at Whiteshoot Hill - FBTs 3C Paddocks west of Bohemia - FBTs 4 Loosehanger Woods (paddocks on boundaries) - AHA tenancy, FBT and Grazing Licences 5 Shearings - Rent (Agriculture) Act
Note: All woodlands on the Estate have vacant possession. FBT: Farm Business Tenancy. AST: Assured Shorthold Tenancy. AHA: Agricultural Holdings Act. All tenancies, licences and grazing licences are for no longer than two years.
There are various other minor leases and licences around the Estate, and a full schedule is available from the vendors agent on request.
Overage: Parts of Lots 2A, 2B, 3A, 3C and 4 are sold subject to an overage on future non-agricultural development. Please contact the vendors agent for a copy of the overage plan. The overage will not apply to any planning permissions granted or development or use in connection with agriculture, equestrian and forestry activities. This overage will be effective for 30 years from the date of completion of the sale and will be payable on the grant of planning permission (or disposal with planning permission) for such uses (excluding agriculture, forestry or equine use). The amount payable will be 30% of the increase in value resulting from that consent.
Method of Sale: The Newhouse Estate is offered for sale as a whole or in up to 8 lots by private treaty.
Sporting, timber and mineral rights: All sporting timber and mineral rights are included in the freehold sale, in so far as they are owned. The stalking rights are let under a licence.
Designations: The Newhouse Estate lies in the New Forest National Park with the exception of Shearings (Lot 5)
The Estate lies within a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone and several areas lie within SSSI Impact Risk Zones. There are two SSSIs on the Estate at Titchbourne field and Newmans/Stevens.
Listings: Newhouse Grade 1 Top Stables Grade 2 The Granary Grade 2
Note: The Granary collapsed many years ago and the site is now overgrown with only a number of saddle stones revealing its former location. The most recent periodic monitoring report by Historic England in June 2019 did not request reinstatement of The Granary.
Basic Payment Scheme: The basic payment entitlements are included in the sale. In the event that the property is sold in lots the entitlements will be included with the eligible land on a pro rata basis at the discretion of the vendor (or their representatives).
The vendor has submitted a claim for the current scheme year and will retain the payment for this scheme year in its entirety. The vendor will use reasonable endeavours to transfer the entitlements to the purchaser as soon after completion as the transfer rules allow.
Wayleaves, easements and rights of way: The property is being sold subject to and with the benefit of all rights including; rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and electricity supplies and other rights and obligations, easements and quasi-easements and restrictive covenants and all existing and proposed wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cables, drains, water and gas and other pipes whether referred to in these particulars or not.
There are various rights of way crossing the Estate and a plan is available from the vendors agents on request. There are no rights of way across Lot 1.
Fixtures & Fittings: Items regarded as fixtures and fittings including carpets and curtains together with garden ornaments and statuary are initially excluded from the sale although certain items may be available by separate negotiation.
Covenants and/or restrictions: There are restrictions / covenants listed on the Land Registry Title deed, details of which will be made available by the vendors solicitors on request.
Local Authority: New Forest District Council, Appletree Court, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst, SO43 7PA Tel: 02380 285 000
VAT: Any guide price quoted or discussed is exclusive of VAT. In the event that a sale of the property, or any part of it, or any right attached to it, becomes a chargeable supply for the purposes of VAT, such tax will be payable in addition.
Health and safety: Given the potential hazards of a working Estate we ask you to be as vigilant as possible when making your inspection for your own personal safety, particularly around the farm buildings and machinery.
Solicitors: Greenwoods GRM, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JE Tel 01733 887644 ref ERP
Viewings Strictly by confirmed appointment with the vendors agent, Strutt & Parker in Salisbury 01722 344014, or London 020 7318 5171.
This property has 275.96 acres of land.