Built in 1876, Cartrefle was the Welsh retreat of Sir Charles and Lady Isham until 1903 when the estate was bought by a successful industrialist. While much of the original house was lost in a fire in 1917, the house was rebuilt and purchased by the Church. It became the residence of the Bishop of Bangor and renamed Llys yr esgob - The Bishop's Court. The house was sold by the Church in 1956 when the original name was restored to Cartrefle.
Cartrefle is a semi-detached home, yet has a wonderful sense of privacy. The house was once arranged as 2 separate apartments, one on the ground and one on the first floor. Currently, the property is entered via a large porch into a sizeable hall with high ceilings. Off the hall is the kitchen/breakfast room, a very spacious drawing room with wonderful fireplace and large window, a dining room with access onto the balcony, both these rooms with views over the gardens to the Menai Strait and Snowdonia beyond.
A ground floor bedroom (with en-suite bathroom) could be used as a sitting room, and the accommodation is completed by a large utility and store room, and a guest cloakroom.
The first floor, which also has access via a separate secondary external staircase, has a large landing or hall, 4 bedrooms (one currently used as a sitting room), a kitchen, a small utility room, a store room, and 3 bathrooms, one en-suite and one 'jack and jill'. The principal bedroom also has a walk-in wardrobe with a basin.
This property has 5.13 acres of land.