Built in the 1820s and located at the foot of Jacobs Ladder is ‘The Anchorage' a magnificent 500m2 double storey heritage home that has been lovingly and sensitively renovated over the years offering old world charm with modern conveniences. Warm and inviting, a sense of space prevails in this exceptionally well-presented home with a host of luxury features and exceptional fine finishes. It is designed for ultimate comfort and family living with a gourmet eat-in kitchen with a large centre island, Godin gas stove, well-proportioned rooms with high ceilings and a staircase to the upstairs bedroom wing. The living spaces flow effortlessly through stack-back doors that run the full length of the south side of the house onto a stunning entertainment patio embracing magnificent sea and mountain views. The property also boasts a cellar and a private sheltered courtyard with dining, private sitting areas and a jacuzzi which can be accessed from the TV room, studio and kitchen. Added features include fireplaces in the formal lounge and main suite, beautiful light fittings throughout, deep cornices and wide skirtings, feature wallpapered walls, detailed door knockers on bedroom doors and a natural stone wall on the boundary of the property and internal garden walls. The 862m2 level garden boasts a heated pool, koi ponds and established trees. You have an option of two access entries to the property, one from Jacobs ladder, and the other from the driveway gate on Main Road. Water for the garden and pool is accessed from a natural stream. The two sea-facing bedrooms have 180-degree sea views, as does the dining room, lounge and patios. The rear bedrooms both have magnificent mountain views. A bonus is the state-of-the-art security system as well as the area guardhouse abutting the property from Jacobs Ladder to ensure your peace of mind.
St James historically known as the ‘millionaires mile' is a seaside village on the Cape Peninsula positioned on the False Bay coast between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. St James was originally a whaling station and ‘The Anchorage' was the manager's home. The original anchor is a garden feature. Enjoy an early morning swim in the temperate waters of St James. The beach is famous for its colourful Victorian-style bathing boxes, tidal pool and rock pools. Dangers beach is just 70 feet away, a well-frequented surfers spot. There is a community tennis court directly opposite the property. For the outdoor enthusiasts, there are various mountain trails to explore with the Jacobs Ladder steps leading you directly into the Table Mountain nature reserve. During whale season you can whale watch from your home. The lighthouses of Roman Rock, Cape Point and Hangklip can be seen at night across the spectacular False Bay. This secluded property experiences no wind when the Cape South Easter is blowing! Explore the quaint seaside village of Kalk Bay a few hundred meters away. The village with its variety of coffee shops, eateries, bookshops, boutiques and galleries was recently voted one of the trendiest suburbs in the world
• Entry on Jacobs ladder side. Welcoming entrance hall.
• Entry from the main gate with feature Koi pond. Entrance hall with work-station.
• Large dining room with wooden floors and stack-back doors to the magnificent entertainment patio with dining and lounging areas and 180-degree sea views.
• Formal lounge with fireplace with marble surround, wooden floors and stack-back doors to the entertainment patio. Door to entrance hall.
• TV room carpeted with stack-back doors to the private courtyard with jacuzzi and dining area.
• Versatile room off the kitchen via stack-back door can be used as an artist studio or study. Built-in cupboards and desk. Stack-back doors to the private courtyard.
• Guest cloakroom
• Workstation area near the staircase.
• Gourmet kitchen with large marble top centre island with ample draw and cupboard space. Godin gas hob with feature wood-engraved encasement for the extractor fan.
• Separate scullery.
• Separate laundry room off the breakfast room.
• Breakfast area with built-in shelving and cupboards, built-in bar with marble top and SMEG fridge/freezer and a wine fridge.
• Stack-back doors to the private courtyard for al fresco dining.
• Wooden stairs with feature wallpapered walls to the upstairs bedroom wing. Feature window on the stairwell. First wing with three bedrooms and second wing with en-suite bedroom.
• Versatile landing can be used as a pyjama lounge or workstation.
• Luxurious main suite with fireplace, Juliet balcony with French doors opening to reveal stunning views of the sea, mountains and garden with pool. Walkthrough dressing room with copious built-in cupboards and shelving. Full en-suite with freestanding bath, shower, 2 feature vanity cupboards, heated towel rail and separate toilet.
• Bedroom two with freestanding cupboard. Carpeted.
• Bedroom three with wooden floors, built-in cupboards and French doors to Juliet balcony embracing the stunning garden, pool, mountain and sea views.
• Bedroom four in a separate wing. Carpeted. French doors to a private balcony overlooking the private courtyard with mountain views. En-suite with bath with shower over it, vanity, toilet and heated towel rail.
• Located in the historical ‘ millionaires mile', is making a comeback as one of the trendiest places to live in Cape Town.
• St James is a unique suburb steeped in history.
• Across the road, famous tidal pools, swimming beaches and tennis courts, can be enjoyed.
• Garage with large extra storage room running the length of the patio. The garage used to be a wagon shed and has a very high roof. Ample off-street parking in the level driveway.
• Architraves including beautiful carpentry, feature light fittings throughout, high ceilings and expansive rooms with stunning views of the sea and beautiful mountain backdrop.
• Water for pool and garden accessed from the natural stream on neighbouring property.
• The property has been beautifully landscaped and the vast level front garden boasts a heated swimming pool, irrigation system with established trees.
• Jacuzzi in the private courtyard.
• Cellar accessed from the dining room. Additional undeveloped cellar under lounge can be a future value add.
• State of the art alarm system in place with exterior beams, multiple panic buttons linked to armed response, security camera system and a private security guard appointed to take care of the houses on Jacobs Ladder with base station adjourning the house and meters from the front door.