On the hills of Maremma, not far from the Tuscan coast, 120.1-hectare organic wine estate. The property features 96.0 ha of vineyards, made up of red and white varieties, a 1,200-sqm cellar and a country house to be restored. The yearly production can reach up to 120 tons of grapes (with a theoretical production of over a million bottles of wine).
The estate, set at the base of a hill with a beautiful castle on top, is just a few km from a town with all the services (4km; 5’) and allows reaching the coastal cities of Tuscany in roughly 30 minutes (Follonica, Castiglione della Pescaia, Punta Ala…). The historic towns of the Tuscan hinterland are no more than two hours away (Montalcino, Siena, Montepulciano, Cortona, Florence…).
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The property includes a huge agricultural warehouse (1,200 sqm – 12,912 sqft) that is currently used as storage for tools and vehicles and as a wine cellar with pressing tools and fermentation vats.
A two-story country house (300 sqm – 3,228 sqft, formerly owned by Ente Maremma) has been inhabited until a few years back by some of the employees of the winery and only needs a few finishing and updating works to be inhabited and exploited in its full potential.
The estate, spanning over 120.1 hectares, is made up for the most part of vineyards (96.0 ha). The remaining surface is split among arboretum (1.0 ha), olive grove (3.3 ha), arable land (1.1 ha), woodland and unused land (18.7 ha).
The vineyard has been planted right after 2000 and is currently in full production. A huge well allows irrigating the vineyards in dry seasons that could endanger the vines. At the same time, this also allows producing a more-or-less constant amount of wine each year.
The whole vineyard has been planted after a careful reworking and reorganization of the surfaces which allowed creating ample vineyards, with a planting distance allowing the use and machines and vehicles, thus leading to a reduced work cost.
The estate is currently undergoing the conversion to organic methods.
The presence of red and white varieties allows the estate to be very flexible, with a varied production ideal for the modern market, which has very diverse demand.
The estate currently only produces grapes (between 100 and 120 tons per year) which is then processed and transformed elsewhere. The cellar in the estate could be easily reworked to create a complete production line, ranging from grape pressing to bottling.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyard surface: 96.0 hectares (70.6 ha red + 25.4 ha white)
- Varieties: Sangiovese (37.5206 ha), Cabernet Sauvignon (13.4893 ha), Vermentino (17.2921 ha), Montepulciano (5.0100 ha), Chardonnay (8.0861 ha), Merlot (3.1036 ha), Alicante (3.1026 ha), Alicante Bouschet (3.3674 ha), Petit Verdot (2.7581 ha), Syrah (2.2201 ha)
- Wines allowed: Monteregio di Massa Marittima DOC, Maremma Toscana DOC, Toscana IGT
- Altitude: roughly 100 m asl
- Density of planting: 5,000 vines / ha (2.50 × 0.80 m)
- Year of planting: early 2000s
- Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
- Yearly production: 1,000 – 1,200 tons of grapes (up to 1,100,000 bottles)
- Maximum storage capacity: 3,000 hl