Greyfriars House has an extraordinary setting, being a detached house surrounded by gardens in an area of St Andrews which is characterised by period terraced houses. The house is private, almost to the extent of being secret, with its access being through one of the rectangular garden plots which form the west side of the street.
A stone wall shields the property from the Fife Council Registrar's Office (formerly a primary school) in front. The property is backed by gardens off Abbotsford Place which is a quiet cul-de-sac. It is a very central location being just off North Street. Golf Place which leads to the 18th Green of the Old Course, the Royal and Ancient Clubhouse and to the West Sands beach, is a block away.
The property is ideally placed for access to the Old Course and the other golf courses operated by The St Andrews Links Trust, as well as the West Sands beach, the university and for all the shops, pubs and restaurants in North Street, South Street and Market Street. The University of St Andrews is one of the oldest in Britain (founded in 1413) and attracts students from all over the world.
St Andrews is renowned worldwide as "the home of golf". There are now seven golf courses at St Andrews including the Old Course, host to the 150th Open Championship. There are many other golf courses in the area including two courses at St Andrews Bay, The Duke's Course, Kingsbarns, Crail and Elie.
St Andrews has several primary schools and state secondary schooling at Madras College and private co-educational schooling at St Leonards. Dundee High School is within easy reach. The town has a good range of shops, hotels, restaurants and supermarkets, a cinema and the Byre Theatre.
Beyond St Andrews is the East Neuk of Fife with its spectacular coastline which boasts fishing villages built around picturesque harbours and sandy unspoilt beaches. Leuchars railway station (4 miles) is on the main Aberdeen to London line and connects to Dundee and Edinburgh. Edinburgh Airport, with its range of domestic and international flights, is only 50 miles away.
Greyfriars House is named after a Franciscan monastery which was sited where the house now sits. No traces of the monastery remain but an Ordnance Survey map of 1895 showed part of the existing wall as remains of a monastery wall.
The present day house is believed to have been built in around 1935. It is a typical structure of the period, being of harled construction under a steep pitched, red tiled roof.
The front door is on the north side of the house. This gives access to an L shaped corridor with a storage cupboard and WC off. The sitting room has a south facing bay window and a stone fire surround and stone shelf. The dining room and kitchen are also south facing. The kitchen has fitted units with a wall oven and grill, electric hob and sink. There is a north facing larder off.
At the back door is a utility room which has a Belfast sink and WC. A back corridor with coat hooks connects to the main hall and has two rooms off, previously used as bedroom 5 and a study.
On the first floor is a landing with a maid's store off which has a sink and shelved linen cupboard. The principal bedroom has a dressing room with fitted wardrobes and a wash basin. Bedrooms 2 and 3 face south and both have wash basins, with a shower in the corner of bedroom 2. Bedroom 4 has a Velux window and the bathroom has a bath with shower, WC and wash basin.
Adjoining the house is a greenhouse with raised shelves. This is backed by the boiler room and a store.
Opposite the back door are two further stores, built of brick. One is used as a coal store.
The lovely well stocked garden is an important feature of the property. In front of the house is a large lawn fringed by flower beds. It has a stone wall around and flower beds and cobbled pathways. Hedges and a trellis divide off a drying green in the corner.
There is a plot garden which links to the street. The south plot garden has gravel paths, azaleas and rose beds.
Greyfriars Garden is an eligible address to apply to Fife Council for a Resident's Parking Permit. This allows parking on the west side of Greyfriars Garden from Market Street to North Street and on the east side from Market Street to a point 64 metres or thereby north of Market Street.
Strictly by appointment with Savills - 0131 247 3738.
Douglas Kinnear, Thorntons, Kinburn Castle, St Andrews KY16 9DR
Tel: 01334 477107
Mains water, electricity and drainage. Central heating from oil fired boiler. Solar panels.
Greyfriars House is in the St Andrews Conservation Area.
Greyfriars House is in Fife Council Tax band H.
The neighbours to the north have applied for planning permission to build a new house. Application no 22/01366/FULL
Greyfriars Garden is the one way street which runs from St Mary's Place / Market Street to North Street in the centre of St Andrews.
The street has a terrace of houses on its east side and garden plots on its west side. Greyfriars House is accessed through the garden plot opposite no 11.