Newhouse is an important, privately owned property on the northern edge of the New Forest National Park. Since 1633, the house has been owned by the same family with an historical association to Admiral Nelson.
Newhouse, or Tychebourne Park, as it was previously called, was built between 1604 and 1619 by William Stockman and believed to be designed by John Thorpe (1564/5 to 1655) with an unusual Y-shaped design referred to as a Trinity House, representing the three arms of the Trinity and believed to be one of only two such houses in Britain; the other being Newhouse, Goodrich in Herefordshire.
Newhouse stands on high and dry ground just south of an historic droving link to the south east from Salisbury in the 16th and early 17th centuries. At the time of Newhouse’s design, the three woodland copses of Wall Copse, Shearwood and Grove, would have been clearly visible from principal southern rooms of the main house across the then parkland and moorland. These ancient woodland oak copses still stand today, although their distinct shape has been disguised by latter day secondary woodland.
Newhouse was first sold as a "mansion house" by William Stockman to Sir Edward Gorges, son of Thomas Gorges, builder of Longford Castle. Newhouse and the Estate was acquired from Sir Edward Gorges in 1633 by Giles Eyre of Brickworth House, Whiteparish and his descendants have remained at Newhouse until this day. Giles gave Newhouse to his second son Ambrose. Ambrose sold Newhouse to his cousin, Sir Samuel Eyre. In 1817, Harriet Eyre of Newhouse married George Matcham, the nephew of Admiral Lord Nelson, whose mother, Catherine, was Nelson’s favourite younger sister. The marriage also brought about the name change to Eyre-Matcham.
In 1742 and 1760, the two Georgian wings were added to the house and both were extensively restored in the 1970s and 1990s. Finally, a large Victorian kitchen and servants' quarters were added to the house in 1879 by the current owners great great grandfather and this part of the house was removed in 1972, thereby restoring the house to its 18th century shape and design.
The Jacobean and Georgian interior of the main house has been restored and maintained over the centuries.
Adjacent to the main house are the early 18th century Grade II Listed Clock (Coach) House, stables, outbuildings and cottage.
Newhouse is Listed Grade I by English Heritage for its special architectural and historic interest.
Newhouse is the quintessential English Estate. The fine and historic principal house is approached up a long drive and fully protected by its own parkland and woodland, offering complete privacy.
About 277.18 acres (112.17 hectares)
The stunning Grade I Listed Jacobean manor house is approached from the rural lane by a long private drive that rises gently between an avenue of lime and cherry trees. The driveway passes between ponds to a circular driveway at the southern front of the house.
The fine front door is flanked by three mullioned and transom windows either side; opening into a magnificent hall with early 18th century staircase with barley sugar balusters. Leading south from the hall lies the morning room with fine fire place, separate cloakroom and a door on to the magnificent double height drawing room with fireplace, ornate plaster work and a beautiful bay window at the southern end looking out over the park and lake.
From the hallway, the north wing comprises a magnificent dining room with c18th/19th century panelling and ionic oak columns supporting the fireplace mantel over an arched stone fireplace. The room is decorated with an early 20th century rococo-style plaster ceiling. Adjoining the dining room lies the kitchen in its original position in the north wing with a passage leading back to a rear hall. In the east wing is a library with magnificent arched fireplace and built-in book cases, separate cloakroom and door and stairs down to substantial cellars.
Stairs from the entrance hall rise to the first floor with a fine galleried landing, a master bedroom and bathroom, second bedroom with en-suite shower room and bedroom three with a back storeroom. The staircase continues to the second floor which provides four further bedrooms and a bathroom.
The Gardens, Park & Woodland -
Lawned gardens flank the house to the south, east and west, which lead out to the parkland studded with fine mature trees. To the south of the house, the lawns slope gently down to a magnificent walled garden, now in need of some repair.
Surrounding the house and garden lies about 72 acres of undulating parkland and arable land interspersed with about 190 acres of mature, predominantly hardwood woodland. The parkland includes three lakes of which two straddle the entrance drive. The land benefits from no public rights of way, providing the house with unrivalled protection and privacy.
Top Stables -
Lying a short distance to the north west of Newhouse and separated by a gravelled parking and turning area, lies Top Stable, a Grade II Listed detached house converted from the 18th and 19th century coach house and stable buildings and arranged around a delightful courtyard. Part of the southern building remains unconverted and is used for general storage and has a delightful ornamental clock on the southern gable end, with a Saginaw cupola above.
Top Stables was originally converted into a fine single dwelling in the late 1990s, with alterations made in 2005. A spur from the main drive leads into a gravelled courtyard through an entrance in a high brick wall with tall piers.
The property comprises: large reception hall, office, bathroom, separate WC and kitchen/breakfast room. On the first floor is a master bedroom, two further bedrooms and a bathroom.
From the kitchen a door leads to a rear lobby linking to a southern wing with a substantial drawing room and stairs up to two further bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Outside - beyond Top Stables is a second grass courtyard flanked by a high wall, a derelict stone barn, timber stables and a further barn in need of some renovation.
Newhouse Cottage -
Lying to the west of Top Stables and adjoining a secondary access drive to Moor Lane, lies Newhouse Cottage, a delightful detached house built in about 1907 and surrounded by its own gardens and protected by a high hedge. The property comprises: entrance hallway, sitting room, dining room, kitchen and cloakroom on the ground floor, with four bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor. To the rear lies a small outhouse with two rooms, currently used for storage.
Bromley's Yard -
Situated on the southern boundary of the park and woodland with private access off Timberley Lane lies this range of former farm buildings. They comprise a fully clad portal frame barn and a further derelict outbuilding, all enclosed by a fence. The site is currently let for the storage of plant and machinery.
Newhouse is a truly magnificent Grade I Listed country house set in a beautiful private location with fine views over its own parkland and woodland beyond. Discretely positioned on the north eastern corner of the New Forest National Park, just to the north of the highly desirable village of Lover and just to the west of the village of Redlynch.
Local amenities in Redlynch include a post office/store, village hall, church, two country pubs and two well renowned golf courses.
A further selection of services can be found in the market town of Fordingbridge 7 miles or the historic cathedral city of Salisbury 9.5 miles to the north. The commercial centres of Southampton and Bournemouth on the south coast offer further excellent shopping and recreational facilities. A direct train service runs from Southampton Parkway station to London Waterloo taking 65 minutes. Southampton Airport is 13 miles and has private aircraft facilities; Heathrow Airport is 69 miles.
The south coast provides access to numerous water sports facilities including yachting at Lymington, Beaulieu, Hamble and Poole. The area is renowned for its excellent schools including Chafyn Grove, Salisbury Cathedral and Godolphin in Salisbury, whilst there is also The Gregg and King Edward VI at Southampton; Embley Park, Winchester College and St Swithun’s are also close by.
The New Forest
The Forest was created by William the Conqueror in 1079 and is still largely in the possession of the Crown, comprising woodland, pasture, heaths and the remains of 17th, 18th and 19th century coppices and timber plantations. It is grazed by the ponies, cattle and pigs of the local ‘commoners’ which add to the picturesque charm of the area. The Forest is a walking and riding paradise unmatched anywhere in the south of England.