Fala School and Schoolhouse is located in the peaceful hamlet of Fala approximately 15 miles south of Edinburgh in the rolling Midlothian countryside. The building is situated in the centre of the community and is easily reached from Edinburgh via the A68 through the village of Pathhead. A range of services and amenities are provided within Pathhead including local shopping, a post office, primary school and regular public transport into Edinburgh. A wider range of services are provided in the nearby towns of Dalkeith and the market town of Haddington. Within Haddington are larger supermarkets, good sports facilities including a swimming pool, a high school and the private Compass School. All the independent schools in Edinburgh are within easy reach.
The surrounding countryside is renowned for its outdoor pursuits including shooting, fishing, and golf. The Lammermuir Hills provide a spectacular backdrop for countryside walks, and the wider Borders and the East Lothian countryside is ideal for cycling and exploring historic villages.
Fala School and connected School House were originally built in 1840 and later extended in 1875. The primary school eventually closed and the building has subsequently been used as a private nursery with the rear extension to the property being completed in 2006. The property is now ready for modernisation and subject to obtaining the relevant planning consents would make a wonderful family home.
The accommodation is spacious, extending to over 2800 sq ft, and has good proportions including double height ceilings and windows in the main reception spaces.
The original front door for the school opens into a large porch with cupboard and cloakroom space. Through the inner door is a large double height classroom. Leading from here a further classroom and rear entrance hall are located. The main school hall in the centre of the property gives access to changing rooms and a separate disabled WC and additional children's WCs with a secondary rear access. The northeast part of the property is the original school house with covered porch and original entrance doorway. The accommodation is currently allocated as a classroom, WC, kitchen, utility and sitting room on the ground floor. Stairs lead up to the first floor accommodation which includes two additional classrooms and a kitchen.
The house sits in a large plot in the centre of Fala next door to the village hall. There is a lawn to the front of the house which has been bordered with a wooden picket fence. Several mature trees sit on the boundary of the site that is enclosed by a stone wall. The property has both front and rear entrance gates with plenty of off street parking. In addition there is a double carport and workshop which could be developed further subject to relevant planning consent.
Leave Edinburgh on the A68 and follow the road south through Pathhead. On leaving Pathhead follow the road for approximately 3 miles until you reach the signpost for Fala. Turn left onto the B6457 and the School and School House are found on the left hand side as you reach the top of the hamlet.