Renovated 4-bedroom house with terraces in Santiago do Cacém.
Fully renovated 4-bedroom house in a prime location with views of Santiago do Cacém castle and the sea. This three-storey property has 141 sq m of gross construction area and 31.5 sq m of gross dependent area. The entrance floor has a lounge (30 sq m), a kitchen (14 sq m), a guest bathroom (5 sq m) and stairs to the first floor. The first floor features a hallway, four bedrooms, two full bathrooms and a terrace (48 sq m). The second floor consists of a large attic (37 sq m) with a balcony overlooking the sea. There is a garage in the basement, with stairs leading to the entrance floor. Features: - Lounge with a fireplace- Garage- Terraces- Fully refurbished property- Large attic (36.78 sq m)
Santiago do Cacém, a typical Alentejo town, is dominated by the Castle, with whitewashed houses and a historical area of great architectural beauty. The Roman ruins of Miróbriga, which are worth a visit, are nearby. Because of its strategic geographical location, human populations have lived in this region since ancient times. Excavations at Castelo Velho, where the Roman ruins of Miróbriga are located, show that the region has been inhabited since prehistoric times. Originally a pre-Celtic settlement, the Celtic urban settlement was Romanised from the post-imperial period in the 1st century B.C. to the 5th century A.D. During the Celtic period there were links with other peninsular peoples, specifically to the south, but the Romans revitalised the daily life of the town as it became the main Roman city on the west coast south of the Tagus. Salatia Imperatoria or Mirobriga Celtici (the scholars are divided on the name) had a forum with its temple, imposing spas or baths and (1 km away) the only Roman hippodrome found in Portugal. In the 19th century, in the time of the Majorats, Santiago do Cacém was a small court, where the lords of the land lived a life of luxury and ostentation. The opulent houses of the Counts of Bracial, La Cerda, Beja, majors, the Counts of Avillez, Fonseca Achaiolli and others dominated the town and other Alentejo lands. The following facts reflect not only the wealth of the lords, but also the flourishing and picturesque life of the first half of the 20th century in the country:- In 1895 the first car arrived in Portugal. It was owned by the Count of Avilez, of Santiago do Cacém; - The first Rolls Royce that came to Portugal also came to Santiago do Cacém, owned by José Sande Champalimaud; - The first car registration issued by the Ministry of Public Works in 1904 to Santiago do Cacém was in the name of Augusto Teixeira de Aragão. (All distances approximate)