On the hills of Florence, a few minutes from Sesto Fiorentino, medieval castle with renovation project for the creation of six flats. The building (3,630 sqm) dates back to the Middle Ages and the late Renaissance and is situated in a dominant position on the surrounding plain. By reworking the interior spaces, which nevertheless retain their salient features, one could create elegant flats with a communal garden, swimming pool and even a wellness center in the old cellars.
The castle is located in a quiet position but not far from the services: the center of Sesto Fiorentino is in fact just a 15' drive away and here you can find everything you need (supermarkets, banks, post offices, bars, restaurants...). The historic center of Florence is also a little further away (20' drive), as is the airport.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The castle (3,630 sqm – 39,059 sqft) has a horseshoe shape and is the result of a long history of extensions and reconstructions. The oldest part of the complex is undoubtedly the tower at the corner, dating back to the 11th century and most probably attributable to the Catellini family from Florence. The manor house then developed around it, dating back to the 16th century and still identifiable by its typical Renaissance architectural elements. Other bodies were then added between the 17th and mid-19th century, bringing the castle to its current appearance. The lemon house on the north side of the complex has unfortunately disappeared over the years, but can be reconstructed according to the original volumes to create the sixth flat (see below).
The current renovation and reconstruction project envisages the creation of six large apartments with a slight redistribution of the building's internal spaces to make the various units totally independent and easily accessible.
- App. N°1 (255 sqm – 2,744 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms): on the ground floor entrance from the loggia, living room with fireplace, dining room and kitchen, on the first floor two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
- App. N°2 (1,060 sqm – 11,406 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms): in the basement wine cellar, technical room, storage room, laundry and wellness center with bathroom, shower area, Turkish bath and Jacuzzi; on the ground floor two independent entries, reception hall, kitchen, formal dining room and service bathroom; on the second floor master bedroom with private office space, walk-in wardrobe and en-suite bathroom, four bedrooms with en-suite bathroom (three of which with private wardrobe); in the attic panoramic reading room and access to the attics;
- App. N°3 (635 sqm – 6,833 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, with private elevator): in the basement cellars; on the ground floor entrance hall with cloakroom, large living room with dining area, kitchen with pantry and bathroom/laundry under the stairs; on the first floor bedroom with en-suite bathroom and gallery above the living room; on the second floor private office sapce and three bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
- App. N°4 (890 sqm – 9,576 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, with private elevator): in the basement private access tunnel, cellar and small wellness center with Jacuzzi; on the ground floor spacious entry from the internal courtyard, dining room with open-plan kitchen, independent veranda in the internal courtyard, master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and walk-in wardrobe; on the first floor reading room and corridor leading to two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom; on the second floor large bedroom with private office space and en-suite bathroom;
- App. N°5 (440 sqm – 4,734 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms): on the ground floor living room, dining room with exclusive outdoor patio and kitchen with pantry; on the first floor large master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and wardrobe; on the second floor two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom;
- App. N°6 (350 sqm – 3,766 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms): on the ground floor entry, large living room with dining area, kitchen, guest bathroom, master bedroom with en-suite bathroom, walk-in wardrobe and gallery; on the first floor spacious living room with dining area and open kitchen and two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom.
A joint-ownership Infinity pool would then be built on the southern terrace, while the old Italian garden would be restored with the renovation of the central fountain and the replanting of the geometrically patterned hedges. The garden area would cover approximately 5,050 sqm distributed on the main terrace surrounding the castle.
The project also envisages the creation of a convenient private parking area reserved for the owners, located just below the castle terrace. From here, a basement tunnel would allow the owners to reach their flats under cover.
The remaining land (2.9 hectares) is mostly covered in woodland (to the north, where it shelters the castle from the cold winds) and small portions of arable land and pasture on which fruit trees and/or vegetable gardens could be planted. The project also includes the restoration of the tree-lined avenue (approximately 500 m) leading to the castle from the main road.