The James F. D. Lanier House
The James F. D. Lanier House is more than a testament to the Gilded Age. It is an exuberant celebration. The magnificent Beaux-Arts mansion at 123 East 35th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues in the historic Manhattan neighborhood of Murray Hill, presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a New York City landmark and a living work of art.
The James F. D. Lanier House stands 33 feet wide, 75 feet deep, and 66 feet tall, with 11,638 square feet of palatial living space across eight levels. One of the city’s largest single-family homes, it is also among the grandest. The brick and limestone mansion was built between 1901 and 1903 for James and Harriet Lanier. The renowned architectural firm Hoppin & Koen designed this house. Another Hoppin & Koen’s notable work is the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Presidential Library in Hyde Park, New York. The James F. D. Lanier House remains one of their finest residential works in New York City.
The original architectural finishes and materials have been meticulously preserved for more than 40 years under the stewardship of the current owner, with thoughtful improvements sensitive to the original design.
Among the significant features of this extraordinary mansion are the fluted Ionic pilasters; dentil and modillion cornices; carved stonework; stately stone porch, and copper mansard roof with three dormers. Designated by the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1979, this house also has the honor of being listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1982.
The doors open to a vestibule with decorative iron and gold leaf gates. The magnificent details begin at the arched entrance hall with its high, rose medallion ceiling, crowned with an antique crystal chandelier. The magnificent gallery is adorned with carved niches, classical statuary, monumental carved-stone basins and urns under an exquisite crystal chandelier.
The gallery leads guests into the elegant reception room with full bar where guests can have
hors d'oeuvres and cocktails before dinner. From the reception room, the gallery flows into the grand formal dining room, which seats 16 under a monumental rock-crystal chandelier.
The mahogany staircase and a wood-paneled private elevator rise to the second floor gallery landing, which is flanked by an inviting living room with gold leaf wainscoting. The grand living room has an alluring green palette, beautiful parquet floors, a 14-foot ceiling with chandelier, and antique fireplace. Adjoining the living room is an oak-paneled library/study with an original mini wet bar.
The James F. D. Lanier House offers nine generously appointed bedrooms (five of which are suites), seven luxuriously appointed bathrooms, and three powder rooms. A staff wing includes an office, three bedrooms, and two bathrooms.
The Garden Level
The garden level is enhanced by a 400 sq. ft. chef's kitchen with a Garland commercial gas range, Bosch dishwashers, 2 Bosch ovens, dumbwaiter, 1 freezer, 3 fridges, double sink, Corian kitchen countertops, pantry, breakfast room, powder room, and a private courtyard garden. There’s also a fitness center, sauna room, massage room, and full bathroom. The stairs to the sub-basement lead to a 1,000-bottle temperature-controlled wine cellar as well as all the updated mechanicals.