This 16th-century palazzo is located in the center of San Gemini, a beautiful medieval town of southern Umbria. The building (1,257 sqm) houses several apartments totaling 17 bedrooms and 13 bathrooms, making it ideal for a luxury boutique hotel. The building has been totally restored a few years back, preserving its original charm intact. Outside, the terraced garden (726 sqm) also features a 10 × 3 m heated pool.
It also enjoys a good sun exposure all day long, from dawn to sunset. The property can be accessed both by car through the parking area and on foot from the front garden and from the garden on the back, in the vicinity of the main square of the village.
The property is within easy reach of the main tourist towns of Umbria: Spoleto and Todi are 35 km away, Orvieto and Perugia can be reached in one hour, Assisi in one hour and ten minutes. Moreover, only 3 km from San Gemini, it is possible to visit the Roman ruins of Carsulae.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The palazzo (1,257 sqm – 13,525 sqft, 17 bedrooms and 13 bathrooms) dates back to the 16th century and was built over the remains of an old Roman building. It is laid over five floors in total. The basement houses the old cellars, where the original Roman walls are still visible. On the ground floor the building features two guest apartments (one of which to be restored and completed) and the common areas (including the reception, the dressing room for the pool and a kitchen with terrace and BBQ area). Beyond the paved courtyard, three ample storage rooms could be restored and converted into a cozy wellness center.
- Apartment N°1 (1 bedroom and 1 bathroom): living area with kitchen, bedroom and bathroom;
- Apartment N°2 (1 bedroom and 1 bathroom): living area with kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.
On the first floor is the owner's residence, fully restored and tastefully furnished to create a luxury private home where one can live all year long.
- Owner's apartment (5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms): entry/reading room, secondary dining room with kitchen, office space, ample living hall with access from the loggia, master suite with private sitting room and bathroom, two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, two bedrooms and a service bathroom.
Reaching the second floor one finds the period residence that is currently rented out to guests, also providing good privacy, all the desirable comforts and rooms rich in history and art.
- Historic dwelling (7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms): entry, ample reception hall, library, dining room with kitchen, tower with breakfast room, meditation room and terrace, five bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, two bedrooms and service bathroom.
On the last floor, at the level of the loft, is the last guest apartment, reached via the main staircase of the palazzo.
- Apartment N°3 (3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom): entry/sitting room, living area with dining corner and kitchen, three bedrooms, bathroom and several storages (mainly crawl spaces).
STATE AND FINISHES
The property has been recently restored with great attention to details, e.g. the roof and the HVAC systems were reconstructed, and boasts high-quality finishes. The palazzo features ceilings with wooden beams, terracotta flooring, exposed stone walls, original fireplaces, a stone staircase, brick arches, a stone terrace, a central courtyard, a loggia, two towers.
All the second floor bedrooms are equipped with air conditioning system.
From every window of the palace, the stone terrace and in particular from the towers, you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the village and the surrounding hills. The 10 × 3 m heated pool is set on a stone terrace, partially sheltered by a portico, with half bath and showers. It has a constant depth of 1.50 m and is equipped with hydro-massage jets and a fountain.
Furthermore, the property includes a well-maintained terraced garden of 762 sqm (or 8,202 sqft) and a very convenient parking area.